Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: shared internet problem :/  (Read 3297 times)

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Freaks geeks and autographs shop
  • Experience: Familiar
shared internet problem :/
« on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:42 PM »
heyy guys ,
i have a problem with my shared network.

the pc i use is wireless and have another pc across the room that shares internet through my ethernet i manage to configure the enthernets to have a static ip this worked for a while now last night the computer that shares the internet is saying no network connection and cannot connect to the internet, I have reset both the ipv4 setting on both the pcs (ipv4 for ethernet)
and still now internet  im pritty stumped when it comes to networks many thanks gusy 

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: shared internet problem :/
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »
Do both computers not have internet access? Is this wireless that your connecting to your own or are you using someone elses unprotected wifi, and of which you are splitting the wifi to 2 systems to where they may have locked you out of the wifi?

If its just the computer that is connected to the other that is acting as a gateway, then what changed at the gateway computer or this other computer to break this? Any firewall changes, security software installations etc?

The last time I set up a pair of systems like this it was to share a 56k dial-up connection between 2 systems. You configure the one system to act as the gateway and the other to connect to the gateway. I used a cross over cable between the 2 systems to not have to use a switch or hub, and the IP info was set up that the gateway IP on the system connected to the system acting as the gateway was the IP of the gateway computer.

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:15:20 AM »
the computer im usi9ng now is connecting to my wifi network, and the othere pc was sharing my internet using windows ICS over an ethernet cable i dont think its a crossover cable, nothing has change on my system secrity software wise
and the static ips ive set  on both the computers have remained the same

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 06:19:06 AM »
well thats messed up just booted up the second pc and every thing seems to be working fine and is sharing my internet now :)  so thanks  DaveLembke for the response, i still dont know what was causing it or if will happen again but  ive learnt not to question why it works just question why it dont :)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
Good to hear its working again... I would assume that you may have an intermittent connection issue if the systems were rebooted both multiple times with no link. If this happens again, I would swap out the Cat5 cable.

Kind of curious though as to how you are making this work without a cross over cable if these systems are both not connected to a network switch or hub to perform the cross over connectivity. I have yet to see the ability to connect two systems together with just a regular patch cable as for the problem is that the TX and RX are mismatched using a regular patch cable and I am not aware of any network adapters that have internal switching to bring PC1-TX to PC2-RX and PC2-TX to PC1-RX to allow for network communications.  :-\

Cross Over Cable Allows the following communications without a switch or hub as wired:

TX = Transmit
RX = Receive

PC1     PC2
TX  --> RX
RX <--  TX
*Note: Both Talk and Listen to each other = GOOD

Here is the problem with 2 computers just using a straight-thru patch cable without a cross over ability:

TX = Transmit
RX = Receive

PC1          PC2
TX -->X<-- TX  = Both Talking
RX ---------  RX  = Nothing Heard
*Note: Both are Talking but none are able to Listen to what is communicated. BAD = No Network Connection

These days switches are used with auto-cross over ability and so you have lots of patch cables and few cross overs used.

PC1      SWITCH      PC2
TX  -->    INPUT    <-- TX
RX <--   OUTPUT   --> RX
*Note: Both PC1 and PC2 are using regular straight thru patch cables and the switch is performing the communications cross over. Also the switch allows for as many systems/devices ( aka nodes ) connected to it as ports are availble. So a 8 -port switch supports 8 nodes to interconnect.

blackrainbow

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• For the Emperor!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
i managed to do this by assigning static ip to both the computers but  ive just simply got a wireless card for the second pc seeing as ive moved mine into another room