Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptops dropping wifi, help!  (Read 2713 times)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Laptops dropping wifi, help!
    « on: March 12, 2014, 08:47:23 AM »
    I have AT&T Uverse (their fastest package) and I have a desktop computer that is hardwired to the router and three laptops throughout the house that are connected by wifi (as well as two ipods, one PS4 and one PS3 which are only connected when they're on).  Aside from the fact that the wifi signal was sometimes weaker on the second floor (farthest from the router), there have not been any problems since it was installed last September.  This past Friday the internet cut out completely for a few minutes, when I went to check the router and all the lights were blinking as though it was resetting.  Since then the laptops have been periodically disconnecting (I would have to manually select and reconnect), but I never lose the internet on the hardwired desktop.  If it was happening with one laptop only, I would assume it was a problem with that specific machine, but it happens with all three.  The only recent change has been the PS4, I got it and set it up in the early afternoon on Friday, and it was later that evening that the internet cut out, but that's just a coincidence, right?  Besides, this problem happens even with the PS4 off.  Any suggestions?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptops dropping wifi, help!
    « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
    AT&T is aware of issues with their services. You have to call their 800 number and speak to a technician. Specifically, they had known issues and ways to fix the problem without sending out new equipment. Unless really  necessary.
    Here in this part of the world you call 1-800-288-2020 and use the touchstone to direct your call.

The only recent change has been the PS4 
    Yes, that can make the difference. Talk to the technician.

And yes, I did read you post and the PS4 can make a difference even when it is off. The addition of another device logs another entry in a table the router has. The entry is still there when the device is off. Talk to the technician.

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
      Talked to AT&T (which always feels like you're talking to someone reading from script while they do their best not to pay attention to anything you're saying) and after being on the phone for almost 40 minutes, she said, 'OK, so we're going to go ahead and send you a new router because the hardline signal is OK, but it seems to be dropping the wifi, is that what you said?'  So in other words, she couldn't figure out the problem and is just sending me a new modem since I complained that my laptops are losing their wifi connection.  Hope that fixes the problem, but I have my doubts...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:00:48 PM »
      Yeah, it is sometimes like that.  You have to work with them and they will come around and help you. the old saying is:
      The squeaky wheel gets the grease.;D