Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WiFi running slow, disconnects.  (Read 3260 times)

WillNeedsHelpFast

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    WiFi running slow, disconnects.
    « on: March 17, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »
    So I have my laptop that runs on WiFi from my modem. My desktop is hardwired to the modem. The laptop is right next to my desktop, and subsequently my modem so it's not a length issue.

A few days, a kid on Skype got mad and said he'd "hack me once he found my real IP". I figured whatever, but then I've been having the issues.

I tried pinging a few sites, either I'll see it go anywhere from 30ms to even 255ms. Else, it will simply say "Ping request could not find host reddit.com (or whatever site) Please check the name and try again."

My WiFi typically wont disconnect or go to "Limited" during this. But it will lose connection from Skype and Steam and hang on retrying, and during this time no page will load. It will either hang on loading until bringing me to a page telling me it cant connect, or I've even see it say it cannot connect automatically.

I've tried rebooting the modem and it doesn't seem to really matter either.
    Doesn't need help as fast anymore ;)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: WiFi running slow, disconnects.
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
    First of all, if someone is performing a DDoS on you, you can get rid of this issue by writing down your IP that the ISP gave you as a lease and then shut your modem off and contact your ISP to reset the lease for the modem so that you will get a different IP. After this you turn your modem back on and it is given a different IP address if the ISP follows through and resets the lease associated with your modems mac address bound to your account. You can then confirm this by checking that your IP has changed. A good website to check your IP address is the following: http://www.whatismyip.com/

I have some doubts that someone would have a problem with you so badly that they would go to this measure, but if this was the case, this would fix this DDoS issue.

I am curious as to what your pings are to www.google.com from both the desktop and the laptop. They should be all around the same response times. Google is what i use as a reference when looking for connectivity issues outside of my ISP's domain. If a ping to my ISP is fast and yet google is showing issues then I know that eithert Google is having issues, the internet itself is having issues, or my ISP is having issues with its backbone to the internet.

Lastly, in order to pull off a DDoS attack, this person would have to have access to many systems at their command to target your specific IP address. Most threats like this are ill supported to follow through and target an IP address unless they have help from others who want to get involved and also target you. Generally a home user is not the target of such attacks and they are targeting a business or identity that causes big problems and draws attention to a group who pull off the attack.

I assume you have already scanned these systems also for malware etc and they are both clean?