Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking problem.  (Read 2982 times)

baboontester

Topic Starter

Rookie

Networking problem.
    « on: March 23, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
    Sorry if this has popped up on the forums already which I'm sure it has.

Anyway, I am running W7 Home Premium on both computers. One desktop and one laptop. I have both computers on the same network and home-group with my settings (file sharing, printer sharing, etc) turned on but I still can't access files on each computer through the network. They can see each other, but when I click the computer name, it says "PCNAME is not accessible, please contact your admin, etc etc"

What am I missing????

Thank you in advance.

bradFullerOz

• Experience: Expert
      Re: Networking problem.
      « Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:38:20 PM »
      hmm sounds like a login username/password type drama .. as in you really "need" to have given a username and password to "see" the shared device

I haven't used win7 for a while but you may be able to "login" to the other PC using the command prompt - have a look for "net use" command....

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
      The OP did not say if he indeed followed thew with the file sharing.
      First step is to see if printers are shared. A shared printer has a little hanbd on the lower left corner. If not there, he has to manually turn it on.

baboontester

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 09:36:08 PM »
        My network printer works. It's through wifi on the network. I don't know if that's what you mean Geek-9pm?

Bradfuller I'm not sure. I thought if the computer was on the workgroup and they can see each other, when you click their icon, you should be able to get into them. It doesn't give me the option to login.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:59 AM »
        Can you right-click the partition drive (c or d) check the Properties - Sharing tab and see if its already enabled.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
        A printer share for a printer aurally connected to the PC is what I meant.
        The OP can do this:
        Find the folder called 'shared documents' or pick a folder to share on the local network. . You must manually turn on sharing for a t least one folder or device. Setting 'file and printer sharing' in network setup does not automatically turn  on any  folder for share. You must do that later.

The folder  'my pictures' would be a good choice for share.
        This article explains more:
        http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000535.htm