Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wacom Intuos + Code 38 (Device Driver Issues)  (Read 7870 times)

duckyreads

Topic Starter

Rookie

Wacom Intuos + Code 38 (Device Driver Issues)
    « on: April 13, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
    My Wacom Intuos2 tablet randomly stops working, forcing me to restart the computer to re-enable it.

When I say "stops", I mean not only does it not take input, but the device light goes out. Switching to another USB port does nothing.

When I went into the Device Manager, there's what appears to be the issue tucked into the "Human Interface Devices" section. "USB Input Device" appears there, with the 'alert' icon. Going to "Properties", the error code I'm given is as follows:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

I can't even roll back to a previous, functional device driver since it's still running the initial version. (Nor does hitting "update" offer a solution, though admittedly I didn't really have high hopes for the automatic driver updater that came bundled with Windows 7.)

I understand that from a functionality standpoint, I have a solution (to simply restart the computer) but that's relatively time-consuming for me, since I have references laid out, music queued up, etc. when I'm working on an image, and it's quite frustrating to set everything up repeatedly.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this error without resorting to a complete reboot?

Screencap & extra info below.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2370M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4000 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1808 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 279641 MB, Free - 133956 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., K54C

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wacom Intuos + Code 38 (Device Driver Issues)
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:26:15 PM »
    From your device driver, you need to fully un-install the tablet and do the install all over again.  If that fixes the problem, please come back here and share.

Otherwise,here re some more things.
    How old is the tablet?  (Wacom Intuos2 tablet)
    Did you try to contact their support?
    http://us.wacom.com/en/support
    Before making a lot of changes, you should have tried the following:
    A. Boot in to safe mode and see if the problems shows.
    B. Try the device on another computer for  one hour.

There is the possibility that you need different drivers. Maybe not latest or best, just different. The newest drive may have a esoteric bug. To find out you either do a lot of testing or you get information from their sport people. Wacom is an important maker of input devices and they should give customers needed support.

Have you recently reviewed the documentation?
    http://101.wacom.com/productsupport/manual/Intuos2UsersManual.pdf

EDIT: Strong radiation files can make the tablet stop working. Do you have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi devices within two meters of the ttablet?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 09:42:36 PM by Geek-9pm »

duckyreads

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:10:31 PM »
      How old is the tablet?  (Wacom Intuos2 tablet)
      Did you try to contact their support?
      http://us.wacom.com/en/support
      Before making a lot of changes, you should have tried the following:
      A. Boot in to safe mode and see if the problems shows.
      B. Try the device on another computer for  one hour.

There is the possibility that you need different drivers. Maybe not latest or best, just different. The newest drive may have a esoteric bug. To find out you either do a lot of testing or you get information from their sport people. Wacom is an important maker of input devices and they should give customers needed support.

Have you recently reviewed the documentation?
      http://101.wacom.com/productsupport/manual/Intuos2UsersManual.pdf

EDIT: Strong radiation files can make the tablet stop working. Do you have Bluetooth or Wi-Fi devices within two meters of the ttablet?

I don't, unless you count the computer's built-in WiFi. I actually accidentally figured out about potential signal interference once when I had my tablet too close to another, larger Wacom tablet -- I was worried that it was the cable, until I moved far enough away from the secondary tablet and everything suddenly started working. (At which point, I did some testing and figured out -- yeah, the bigger tablet was something I had to keep out of range if I wanted everything to function.)

My particular laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, either. (Which is a shame, because the biggest problem people report with this computer is generally the sound system -- which is quiet and sort of tinny. And Bluetooth speakers are very convenient, but alas! It is not to be.)

The Wacom manual is pretty cool, but (given when the product came out) rather out of date. Pages 48 & 96 are the closest it comes to talking about actual connectivity problems, but it's for... when Windows XP was new? (I used to use a Graphire, and the guides were ANCIENT. I patched them as much as I could, until even fan-made patches petered out because people apparently just weren't using them in conjunction with shiny new systems.)

Because of how long I held onto my (ancient) Graphire, I am aware at least that the Wacom support can be pretty awesome -- but I'm not sure if it's actually the Wacom's fault? (I'd feel better about using the contact info on page 113, otherwise.) Pages 114 & 121 have some of the tests I'd already known about -- which is to say, it mentions checking to be sure that the light is on. (And it isn't. The USB port isn't even powering it.)

The new driver didn't cause problems with my old laptop, either. (Unfortunately, that computer is... cranky, and not fun to work on. The tablet will function, but very little else.) I've had to swap out drivers to older versions before (see: "weird person who used Graphire tablet for far, far too long") but in this case, everything functions -- except for when it stops.

Trying it on another computer for an hour? I've done that, but honestly, I'd rather use this laptop, provided I can fix the issue. (My old laptop has a problem with overheating and dying horribly. Other computers are desktop PCs, which are currently configured for maximum comfort of their main users, which means I'd have to fiddle with the chair and the desk and the angle of the keyboard enough that restarting this computer indefinitely starts to look like the better option.)

Also, the tablet is old. I have more than one (same generation, obviously) Intuos2 tablets, and it appears to not be tablet-specific. (I checked.)

I'll boot in safe mode and check it out, next, I guess? And if that doesn't pan out, I'll give up and try contacting Wacom, maybe.

Thanks for your time and advice; I appreciate it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
      OK. You have done as much as I could think of.
      If the Desktop PC never has this issue, then it must be specific to the laptop.

The Wacom tablets very, very good for professional use. So likely  Wacom would fix any problem with the drivers. 

Sorry I can not think of anything else.

duckyreads

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »
        OK. You have done as much as I could think of.
        If the Desktop PC never has this issue, then it must be specific to the laptop.

The Wacom tablets very, very good for professional use. So likely  Wacom would fix any problem with the drivers. 

Sorry I can not think of anything else.

Don't be sorry! I really appreciate having someone else offer suggestions, since I'm flying mostly blind here. (I don't understand how drivers work, exactly, so I'm just trying whatever comes to mind.) Thank you very much for taking the time to consider my problem, and also to look into it. (Which -- I assume you did, if you had a link to the manual, and also figured out the potential issue with interference?)

Your advice to contact Wacom seems sound. I may end up doing just that.

Thanks again!

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:47 AM »
        When you do contact Wacom ask them about any power saving settings in the BIOS that can be adjusted...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

duckyreads

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
          When you do contact Wacom ask them about any power saving settings in the BIOS that can be adjusted...
          Oh dear! I already contacted them, and I hadn't included that. On the other hand, there's a limit on the number of characters (512, I think?) so I am not sure I could've fit that query in while still clearly explaining the problem. If I have the chance to ask at a later point, I will try and do so. May I ask why? (I know that the USB port still works when powering other, non-tablet devices, having used my brother's MP3 player to double check this.)