Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't change display settings in Win 98  (Read 11948 times)

Paul Emmons

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Can't change display settings in Win 98
    « on: June 16, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
    Because a monitor failed and I temporarily needed to use an old one, I needed to change my screen area (in control panel display properties) to 640 by 480 pixels.  Bad mistake!  Now I can't change it back, because everything is so large that the button that will let me do it is too low to show.  I can't move the window up far enough to reveal it.  It looks as though I can't change my display settings until I have changed my display settings. 

If there is a way to do make the change from the command line, by editing an .ini file, or in the registry, I can probably manage that, but how?

Am I screwed or what?

:-[

Paul Emmons

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Can't change display settings in Win 98
      « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »
      Well, problem solved, although I doubt I could retrace my steps.  What I did made things even worse for awhile but finally I restored the correct video driver and was able to change the display settings back.  It would be helpful if someone here knew of a surer and safer way in case it happens again.