Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My computer is terrible with the internet  (Read 2811 times)

SirChanV

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    My computer is terrible with the internet
    « on: July 13, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
    Can someone please explain to me why my less than 1 year old computer (top) is so much worse at anything related to the internet compared to my 7 year old mac? It is a dell inspiron 3000 series. It is supposed to be better in every way in relation to processor speed and ram. I don't have any nonessential programs running on either computer.

This also shows up whenever I try to play an online game. It works fine on the mac, but on the dell, my ping just skyrockets from 40 to 5000 every minute, invariably.
    Please help. I am extremely fed up with this. Last time I tried to get help, nobody bothered to answer.

[recovering disk space, attachment deleted by admin]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My computer is terrible with the internet
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:20:21 PM »
    this is the beginning of my dictation.
    Your frustration is understandable. However, processor speed has little to do with Internet performance, even with intense online games. Modern computers have processing speeds that are more than 100 times faster than what is needed for playing a game over the Internet.
    The fact that you have another computer with a different operating system that works very well would suggest that something has happened to your computer that you are not aware of. The most likely scenario is some kind of infection with spyware, adware or maybe a virus.
    Nevertheless, it is very important you contact the manufacturer of your new computer and register a complaint with them. They might know a some issue they had with that particular model.
    The only thing I can suggest at this point is a couple of things.
    First, create a new user account and sign into that account and try logging into the Internet again.
    Second, run the network wizard again in Windows and see if that helps. You have to reset your computer before the changes take place.
    That's the best I can offer. Hopefully somebody else has an idea.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: My computer is terrible with the internet
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:34:37 PM »
    Hi

You don't say if you are using wireless or a cables to connect the 2 computers to the modem?

If the Dell is wireless can you try it please with a cable instead. And let use know the results.

Thank you
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan