Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: slow dialup speed  (Read 3059 times)

dave wright

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    slow dialup speed
    « on: August 05, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
     My dialup connection speed varies all over the place from a low of about 7 Kbps to a high of about 16. It used to be consistent at 26 or 28. I have a USRobotics 56K modem board. My ISP (LocalNet) says everything is ok with them. I have a phone line splitter that I bypassed, I replaced the phone line cord and I had my phone company check their line for noise. None helped. Is there something I'm overlooking or is the phone company simply not finding a noise problem?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: slow dialup speed
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:53:46 AM »
    Using Dial-Up you can expect 56000 bps only under ideal conditions. If you can get a consistent 33000 bps , you are doing g well.
    Depending on where you live, other services may be available. Of c purse, these cost more that Dial-Up. DSL is more than ten times faster.

You might consider adding a second phone line just for Internet and using it fort DSL. Some telephone companies  will offer DSL only line for about the same cost as having a second voice line. For example, in parts of California the local phone people
    charge about $25 a month for standard voice line. Plus long distance fees  But a DSL only line is about $30 a month.

If you believe your phone company is not giving you good service, you can file a complaint. But before you do that, it may help to personally talk to somebody like a technician or service agent. I mean talk in person, face to face. That can have m ore positive impact that a phone call.

FYI; DSL lines have higher standards the just voice lines. The DSL line has fewer splices and drop wires and other things that compromise high frequency data. *censored* DSL has to be closer  to a distribution point, often less that 4500 feet. For that reason DSL is not available is rural areas as a general rule.

Another alternative is the use of the 3G cell network for data. It is expensive.  What more people are doing, in some places, is to get a good cell service that allows a loots of  data usage on the 3G or 4G network. The ce3ll towers have mich further range than DSL, so potentially the cell network can under price DSL.

Next, here is an article that contradicts what I just said:
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/23/2578711/verizon-lte-explained
    But notice it is now three years old.

EDIT: For XP you want to have it up to date and virus scans working.

dave wright

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: slow dialup speed
      « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »
       I have an update for those interested. I listened to my line carefully and I did have static that came and went (a buzz really). Phone company detected a problem and fixed it. Last session speed was 24Kbps-beats 7 by a lot. Thanks for info. Great site!