Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: High data usage even when not using IE  (Read 3770 times)

BobH

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    High data usage even when not using IE
    « on: August 07, 2014, 12:38:20 AM »
    Can anybody assist
    Last year I purchased a new desktop computer and immediately my data usage went through the roof. I used 2Gb within two days. I was eventually told to remove the automatic updates for IE & Windows and that see if that cures the problem. It did reduce my data usage somewhat but I still have a problem in that sometimes (not on every occasion) when I go out of IE there is still a large volume of data being down loaded (Since the initial problem I have installed Netmeter).
    The computer has been back to the suppliers a couple of times and they cannot find any problem and I have also had a technician from the local computer shop around to see if he can solve the problem - but unfortunately not.
    So I have gone from  a monthly usage of less than 2Gb (last year) to getting on for 5Gb + recently without any change in my surfing habits.

Some one please help its costing me a fortune in additional Data bundles.

TIA
    BobH

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: High data usage even when not using IE
    « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »
    First of all, this is not a quick and easy solution. One method would be to get into your firewall and have a block all applications, except Internet explorer. Of course, that means you will not get any updates or e-mail until you change the setting in the firewall back to normal.
    Another approach, rather drastic, is to simply disconnect your modem from the telephone line until you're ready to use it.
    Also, you did not specify how you are monitoring your network usage. Are you using a tool such as provided by Microsoft?
    http://www.sysprobs.com/monitor-network-traffic-windows-7-microsoft-network-monitor-34
    You may find you have some unwanted programs running in the background and getting up some of your bandwidth. It is quite likely some of these programs are completely unwanted and unneeded programs that may be using your computer for something you did not intend. In other words, some kind of spyware or malware that is abusing your computer.
    Do you regularly make virus scans with tools such as the MalwareBytes free scanner?

BobH

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:28 AM »
      Thanks for the reply - The usage monitor that I use is "Netmeter" which gives a real time usage indication. I have been using this since I first had the high data usage problems.
      I have AVG installed on my computer and it says that it is up to date !! so hopefully the problem is not virus related.
      As to the disconnection of the line, I do that especially when I go out of IE and the Netmeter still shows heavy usage. As a further precaution I do switch off the modem overnight and if there is a likelihood of an electrical storm I also disconnect the line.
      Is there anyway of determining the URL that the data is coming from?

Thanks

BobH

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »
      You might try another tool instead of Netmeter.

Other Network Monitors.

An AV program by itself does not catch everything bad out there. You may have  to experiment with three of four different kinds of AV tools to find one that stops unwanted traffic.
      Here is as helpful reference:
      https://www.cs.utah.edu/~kobus/docs/ita08.pdf
      Filtering Sources of Unwanted Traffic
      Fabio Soldo, Karim El Defrawy, Athina Markopoulou
      University of California, Irvine
      Balachander Krishnamurthy, Jacobus van der Merwe
      AT&T Labs-Resear
      Sorry about the math. It is kind of heavy reading. But it does show that this is know to be a real problem and you want to control it.
      Ignore that. Here is a bit from the University of Iowa .
      http://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/3576
      The goal of client network optimization and tuning is to find the sources of unwanted network traffic and to take steps to correct or eliminate the root causes in order to enhance network performance and help avoid future problems. We have created a single GPO that can be linked to help control this traffic. It is called _PUBLIC-Client Network Citizenship. Below are details of the different traffic that has been seen and what the GPO does to limit it.
      Anyway, the point being made is a short blacklist is not enough. There are lots and lots of bad guys out thee that want to waste l your resources.
      « Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:41:45 AM by Geek-9pm »