Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to restore OS contents to like factory new?  (Read 9938 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
How to restore OS contents to like factory new?
« on: August 13, 2014, 03:00:21 AM »
This Dell Inspiron laptop is running Win7 H Prem. I want to return it to like it was when new. I don't care about loosing any files. I bought the hard drive used from a friend and he does not need any of the files on the disc. Do I run the recovery partition on the drive and how do I do that?
As always, thanks for any help
Mike

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How to restore OS contents to like factory new?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:40:01 AM »
Seehere for the instructions.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »
Problem: This drive came out of a Toshiba machine so after I get to 'Advanced Boot Options' > 'Repair Your Computer' and log in as administrator, it has the following menu:
Startup repair, System restore, System Image recovery, Windows memory diagnostics, Command prompt, Toshiba recovery wizard.
If I click on Toshiba Recovery Wizard I get an Error:
An Error has Occurred
Error 03-FFFF-0001
please press ]OK[ to turn off the computer.

What to do now?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:54 AM »
Are you saying that you are booting (or trying to boot) to a primary driver from a different computer?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean Allan. What I have is a Dell Inspiron that had a 120gb drive in it. I bought a Toshiba with a working 320gb drive in it, then swapped the Toshiba drive into my Dell machine. It runs fine, but I just don't want to have to go through all the files and what I don't want. I just want the OS just as it was when the Toshiba machine was new from the store, Can't I do this with the Recovery Partition.
This drive has 3 partitions:
Active recovery partition 1.46 gb
Primary partition 7.92 gb
Boot,page file, crash dump, primary partition. 288.71 gb

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
This is dictation.
This scenario has come up before. Someone takes a good working drive out of one computer and sticks it in to another computer as a means of fixing the bad drive. Unfortunately, that is not the best way to do things.
The OP needs to understand that each computer model has specific differences because of hardware changes made by different manufacturers, and even the same manufacturer for different model numbers. For example, I have a Dell 745 running Windows 7 and also a Dell 755 running Windows 7. Although the Windows 7 disk looks the same, the two computers require separate drivers. So I cannot just take a copy of the operating system of one computer and place it in another computer.
If the system is working for you, your best just to leave it as it is. Any attempt to install Windows 7 again from the recovery partition could only make things worse. The recovery partition for the Toshiba laptop is specific to Toshiba laptops and even specific into the model number.
I hope this clarifies the problem.
My understanding is the OP has a Dell Inspiron computer and has replaced the hard drive from a working Toshiba computer. And the OP says it does work, but he just wanted to clear out the unused programs by using the recovery partition. The general consensus is that you cannot do that and that is by design, not by accident. The recovery partition was never intended to be a general-purpose recovery for different installations of Windows. That is why Microsoft tells users to make up a backup of their computer system when they first get it and save it on a DVD for use in case of an emergency. The OP should have created a recovery DVD for his Dell Inspiron after he received it.
But if there is something wrong in what I have said, somebody please correct me.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
I'm surprised the Dell even boots. I strongly suggest you purchase a Windows 7 DVD, format the drive and reinstall the OS.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
The recovery partition was never intended to be a general-purpose recovery for different installations of Windows. That is why Microsoft tells users to make up a backup of their computer system when they first get it and save it on a DVD for use in case of an emergency. The OP should have created a recovery DVD for his Dell Inspiron after he received it.
But if there is something wrong in what I have said, somebody please correct me.

The Toshiba drive works just fine and is fully functional in the Dell machine. I was just looking for a quick way to delete all the files that the previous Toshiba user added post purchase. I don't really care about saving the OS. It's Win 7 32 bit, and I have a OEM copy of Vista X64 that I suppose I would rather have anyway due to 64 bit.

I have the Dell Inspiron drive that works fine also and I could have created a recovery CD, but that OS is also 32 bit which I don't want.

I guess what I'll do is create a recovery CD for this Toshiba drive to keep for whatever in the future, then install the Vista X64 OS on this 320gb drive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
Understood.
Here is a personal observation.
It it were I, the purchase of of a new HDD would be a consideration.
Noways, refurbished hard drives are very reasonable. About $40 plus shipping with limited warranty.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
With rent, utilities, car payment, insurance, poor health Dr bills vs a small disability check, it does not go far these days so $40 is impossible for me right now.
My brother in law gave me this Dell, and the Toshiba has a bad mboard (not worth repairing), so the previous owner (good friend of mine) just gave me the whole machine (including 320gb hard drive for parts. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »
If you r Dell PC has a COA sticker,  you can install Windows again.

But before you do that, see if you can download a set of drivers from the Dell web site. Otherwise you might have a new install that can not get to the Internet. It did happen to me!  :-[

The are some legitimate places where you can download a fresh copy of Windows 7.
You need the version that goes with the COA.  :)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
If you r Dell PC has a COA sticker,  you can install Windows again.

The are some legitimate places where you can download a fresh copy of Windows 7.
You need the version that goes with the COA.  :)

If I'm wanting to use the Windows 7 OS that came with the 320gb drive in the Toshiba machine, then I need to enter COA info from the Toshiba, correct? I have both machines complete with COA stickers on both.

I'll try to find an OS download site. I initially thought I would have to order the OS recovery CD online for USPS, UPS etc delivery. That's what I did when I replaced the 120gb drive in my HP 6715b  with a 250gb drive out of another Toshiba running Win XP. I installed Vista X64 on that drive years ago and still use that machine daily with no problems.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »
Dictation.
Here on computer hope and other forms that has been some discussion about finding legitimate download sites for the Windows 7 binary image for installation on a PC that already has the COA. The official download service is from a company called Digital River.
However, it seems there is some confusion about how to locate the correct download site. When one tries to do a Google for the Digital River download site, Google will list other sites that may or may not be the official sites. That is a real PITA.
So here is a link or somebody asked that question of Microsoft.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/cannot-find-digital-river-download-site/66a8439b-0d16-4b70-92f7-1c8486a46ebf
I hope that will direct you to the correct download site.

End of dictation.
(Any goofs in the above are from my speech recognition software.)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Okay I have it downloading. 3hrs, 17min remaining. Thanks Geek-9pm

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »

1. Create your recovery discs first IF from within the current setup is possible. This is for safe keeping when the recovery discs were successfully created.

2. Locate the product key while in windows using a third party software such as SIW Home version, Speccy or Magic JellyBean Key Finder. Look also into the Toshiba Laptop for the 25 character product key sticker for confirmation or just in case.

3. Download the correct Windows version ISO file from here http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

4. Use the product keys to activate your windows and also go to Dell website to install all the Windows 7 drivers.

By using this method, the recovery partition of the Toshiba drive would be wipe out. All you would have left is a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit freshly installed in your Dell Inspiron Laptop.