Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mapping a drive in virtualbox (please read)  (Read 2434 times)

gil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    mapping a drive in virtualbox (please read)
    « on: August 21, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
    hay there.
    this is my first thread here.
    i want to map a network drive on virtualbox but i cant seem to do it because the drive dosent appear-only where i am mapping it.
    i know how to map a drive.
    but i want to do so to learn.
    i have two machines, thay have ping to each other.
    what should i do.
    plus only the folder "users" can be mapped...all the other folders cant...why?
    please help me...
    **i have seen all the videos on youtube
    here is a picture:

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: mapping a drive in virtualbox (please read)
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »
    Have you gone into the security preferences and allowed for the other computer physical or virtual given allowance to the data to be shared?

If you want to make this easily mapped, allowing "everyone" access to a folder share is used, however its best to be specific to allowing only a certain user or computer to have allowance.

One other test would be with this system off the web, disable the firewalls and see if you can then establish a mapping to the share. If you can not with the firewalls both disabled, then you may have a problem with network config between them such as they do not have the same domain ( workgroup ). Its also best to use static IP addresses when using mappings as for using DHCP, the IP's can change and break it.

When creating mappings, I like to use \\192.168.1.102\sharedfolder$

In which if the IP address is 192.168.1.102 and the share is sharedfolder , I add a $ at the end of this share to hide the share. But while its hidden, it can be revealed pretty easily.

Other option is mappings to use \\systemname\sharedfolder$

So if the computer with the data share is called BobsComputer it would be like \\BobsComputer\sharedfolder$

gil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 05:01:35 PM »
      Have you gone into the security preferences and allowed for the other computer physical or virtual given allowance to the data to be shared?

how do i do this?  i am mentioning again that i dont want to "share" a folder but to MAP a drive (or folder) between two virtual machines as if they were real...

i have a new picture that might help-
      when i am going to the gui ti try it i am not reciving an option for the computer but only to the shared folders in the "virtual network"
      picture:

thenks for trying to help me...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
      how do i do this?  i am mentioning again that i dont want to "share" a folder but to MAP a drive (or folder) between two virtual machines as if they were real...
      Mapping a network drive maps a network share from another system on the network. On that system, the folder is considered to be shared.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

gil

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
        ok so thats what i want mapping a drive between two systems