Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Constant short ping spikes while gaming  (Read 2794 times)

Vidias

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Constant short ping spikes while gaming
    « on: September 20, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
    Hi guys, as the title says i'm having an issue where I'm having major pings spikes during all online games that makes them unplayable. So far I have tried multiple things to try and fix it. I've used a wired connection and wireless connection and I still receive the spikes. I had recently reformatted the computer and installed all the drivers. I have also ran Antivirus/Malware scans and they came back clean (as I expected as its basically a new computer). I have lived in two locations in the last 10 months and both locations had the same issue.

I play games like: D3, LoL, WoW and others like so and the issue is among all of them.

My specs:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (Bought)
    Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz (Asus has a soft-clock on the board which makes it 4.1)
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 801MHz
    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z87-PRO (SOCKET 1150)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 (EVGA)
    120GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Seri SCSI Disk Device (SSD)
    1TB Seagate ST1000DM ST1000DM003-1CH1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Vidias

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Constant short ping spikes while gaming
      « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:07:04 PM »
      EDIT: Just tested by running "ping google.com -T" while playing a game of leagueoflegends. Ping would spike to 1000ms for a packet or two then return to normal. This ONLY happened when I was playing a game. Not by just idling. The ping is constant 39-40ms when no games are running.

Vidias

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
        Edit 2: So I have been working on this issue myself for the past few days and decided to take out the video card and run it off the Onboard Video from my Motherboard. I loaded up a game and I played solid with zero ping spikes for the better part of an hour. I was able to get my hands on a old Video Card, AMD Radeon 6870, and plugged it in to try it. Like the onboard video, the game ran for about 30mins with no ping spikes. I then tried putting back in the GTX 770, and it also ran for about an hour with no ping spikes.

I left the computer on and stepped away from the computer for about 4 hours and returned only to find that about 30mins into D3 the ping spikes were back and it seemed to happen only when a lot of things were happening. I figured that it was most likely my video card causing the problem and swapped back out to the AMD 6870 and it too was having the spikes when a lot of things started to happen.

Hope this helps.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
        The only suggestions I could give are updating the drivers in question. BIOS, video, network and router firmware just in case including checking for patches in the game forums itself.

kyle_engineer

Intermediate
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »
        The only suggestions I could give are updating the drivers in question. BIOS, video, network and router firmware just in case including checking for patches in the game forums itself.

Personally I would not advise updating BIOS unless there is something wrong with yours and/or there is an update that is classified as "crucial" or something. It's not that something "will go wrong", but if something did go wrong, it would be disastrous.

Since your only experiencing this problem while gaming, it is most likely due to your GPU. There is likely either something with the driver, or potentially something wrong with the chip. If you haven't changed any setting recently, that's probably not the issue - however you could try restoring the defaults if possible. Another thing you can do is try bringing the in-game settings way down and see if that changes things. All these little test will point you in the right direction.  ;D
        "Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
        010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101