Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I cannot see my web Server from behind my Linksys Router with ISP Static Address  (Read 3334 times)

tstech79

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I am a newbie, to the Computer Networking, currently learning it.

-Can someone please help me???

I have a Zentyal Server with an external NIC (For Internet) and Internal NIC (For LAN)
    >>>My Problem is I cannot see my Zentyal Server on the Internet.

-My 2nd problem is my domain name is not pointing to my server even after I pointed it to my static IP address

-What I did I changed the “A Record” at my domain register (register.com) and set it to the Static IP Address provided by my ISP. (96.58.X.X2) 

I have a one Motorola Modem/Router provided by my ISP with the following settings
    With a Subnet of 255.255.255.252

-The ISP router is in bridge mode

-WAN Port 1 is setting up for static IP address by ISP and the other 4 ports are dynamic with an local IP Address of 192.168.0.1

-My router is a Linksys 1900AC

Is set with the ISP Static Address 96.58.X.X
    With a subnet of 255.255.255.252

--My Local Network within Linksys Router is:

-My Zentyal Web Server is setup on IP Address 192.168.1.75 with it being static locally within my router

-I used port forwarding of the following:

-Port 80 as TCP Protocol on IP address 192.168.1.75

-Port 443 as TCP Protocol on IP address 192.168.1.75

-This is just for starters, I just wanted to be able to see is on the Internet.

I can get to the Internet on all devices in my network.

But when I use port forwarding I cannot see my web server at all.
    -I did a test to make sure my web server was working properly, I removed my Linksys Router and placed my web server directly into Motorola ISP Modem/Router on WAN port 1 and it worked just fine after assigning it the static IP Address, default gateway, & subnet given by ISP to my Zentyal Webserver external NIC.

I also have a noip.org account that I was using dynamic IP Address but I was having problems getting my email back to my server, I could send email to other places just fine but getting email back was the problem, this was before I got a Static IP from ISP. 

My Zentyal Server supports noip.org for use of dynamic IP Addresses so your web server never loses it's connection to your domain name or the Internet connection etc.

My ISP is Bright House Networks and they state that they do not block inbound nor outbound ports.

You can download Zentyal Server for 100% totally free at www.zentyal.com.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    You explanation is hard for me to understand.
    Do you  understand the following ideas.
    Using the dotted decimal notation, there is a possibility of having up to  about 4 billion numbers. The would range e from 0.0.0.0 up to 255.255.255.255 if all combinations were allowed. Bu in reality, not all are allowed.
    A long time ago it was determined that a large set of numbers would be used only for WAN and a smaller set of numbers would be used for LAN. This ,eans the LAN number are used over and over again with no conflict because then never go out onto the WAN

So computers in my home might be using some numbers in the range of maybe 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.99 and maybe a neighbor down the street, or even across the country,  just might be choosing  same set of numbers for his LAN.  So I will never see his computer ans he will never see mine. Because the router is programmed not to let those number be used eternally.

Do you get the picture?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    Going by your diagram your modem is also a router, is this correct?  In this case you would also need to forward the ports you require in this motorolla device to your linksys router and have the linksys then forward it to the final PC.   This is called Double NAT.

This will get quite messy so ideally if you can it would be best to see if either the motorolla device has a way to disable the routing and use it purely as a modem or also try connecting the modem into one of the LAN ports on the Linksys rather than it's WAN port to see what happens as this will bypass the NAT in the linksys.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    My Problem is I cannot see my Zentyal Server on the Internet.
    -My 2nd problem is my domain name is not pointing to my server even after I pointed it to my static IP address
    Thee is something wrong here. He said Internet.

A campus or enterprise server is an Intranet server.

Did the OP want Internet or Intranet?
    The worldwide web is the Internet  and the IP addresses are under an  authority that specifies who can use an address. And the DNS system teaks about 72 hours to deploy world-wide.

So maybe the  OP confused about the difference between:
     ° World Wide Web  (The earth)
     ° WAN  (a campus)
     ° LAN  (a building)
     ° Sub net  (a classroom)

It takes several hours to make a  domain name to come up on the  World Wide
     :)Web.

WQAN, LAN and wide wide web?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    Thee is something wrong here. He said Internet.

A campus or enterprise server is an Intranet server.
    This can safely be ignored.

Also, you said you have a dynamic IP address yet are trying to run a mailserver.   This will cause you a lot of problems, most email providers simply reject emails that were sent from a dynamic IP address, you will really need to get a properly static IP in order to do this.