Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop keeps disconnecting from Internet but always has signal  (Read 3580 times)

cheeecake84

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Laptop keeps disconnecting from Internet but always has signal
    « on: October 03, 2014, 04:13:00 PM »
    Hello.

I have an MSI CX61 laptop and it will be connected to the internet and then I will be no longer connected to the internet. It will still show that I have signal to the router though. This has happened on my router and a friend's, at other times though I will experience no problem.

I've taken the specs from the NVIDIA Experience panel.

GPU: GeForce 820M
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-470MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Memory: 8.00 GB RAM (7.92 GB Usable)
    Wireless Card (maybe): Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

I'm not sure what other information is needed, if any, but I will be happy to provide more.

Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop keeps disconnecting from Internet but always has signal
    « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:07:40 AM »
    Have you performed a driver update for wireless at all?

Do any other systems experience the same issues at the same time that are on wireless? ( * To test this I would have 2 wireless computers connected to this same wifi and perform a persistent ping and look to see if the connection only drops out on the 1 computer or both at the same time. To do persistent ping run something like:

ping www.google.com -t

from command shell which you can get to by Start-RUN->CMD or entering CMD in Search window of Windows 7 or 8 etc to bring up command shell.

If the problem is showing ping problems at the one laptop only then you know its specific to that 1 computer, however if both systems are having issues then you know its a wireless issue ( or ) the internet connection is dropping out and coming back which can be modem, router, or service provider issue.