Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router denying Wi-Fi access?  (Read 7978 times)

Shandy

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Experience: Beginner
    Router denying Wi-Fi access?
    « on: October 16, 2014, 01:39:11 PM »
    Hi.
     I'm having a little trouble with my router accepting Wi-Fi connected clients at the moment and I'm not sure what is causing the issue.
    I don't recall recently changing any settings for my router related specifically to Wi-Fi and it accepts physical connections fine. The only change I made recently is to provide IP address reservation for my main desktop on the network, however, my Wi-Fi devices still worked fine after this for a while.

The router is a TP-Link WR2543ND.

When Wi-Fi devices try and connect I get traffic reports like this:
    ID   MAC Address   Current Status            Received Packets   Sent Packets   Configure
    1   5C-95-AE-01-E0-08   STA-ASSOC     333                          2

It looks like my devices are sending multiple handshake requests but the router is not responding. Sent packets from the router will remain on 2 or 3 with the received packets increasing over time. Does anyone have a clue to what might be causing this issue, and is there any way to pull a report from this model of router of all the current settings and statistics so that I can share them to locate errors?

Many thanks.

kyle_engineer

Intermediate
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Router denying Wi-Fi access?
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:29 PM »
    I didnt read it all, but im sure the answer is here...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=hdtBVPrYC5W0yATB7ICADg&url=http://setuprouter.com/router/tp-link/tl-wr2543nd/manual-730.pdf&ved=0CFYQFjAH&usg=AFQjCNHONo3ltlJTQiad6uotqYTGOqmYhQ&sig2=YHJjEFq8oTg3QxFtkqciYQ

Did you possibly turn the 5ghz band on? When I did that with my router, the 2.5ghz stopped working and devices didnt use 5ghz correctly... maybe check that.
    "Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
    010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101

Shandy

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:48:15 AM »
      Thanks for the reply Kyle, yeah my router only supports singular band transmission as well and that was the first thing I checked. Definitely on 2.4Ghz and also has 802.11 b/g/n protocols enabled. I looked through the manual but found nothing useful. Also I can't find any results on Google of people experiencing similar issues, pretty strange.

I guess I'll have to restore to factory settings and lose all my forwarding/routing settings etc. :(

Thanks.

Shandy

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 12:18:05 PM »
        I've resolved this issue now.

I was looking through my router settings again and saw that DHCP service was disabled. Without this my Wi-Fi devices can't be automatically assigned an IP address. It's not something that I would ever normally disable so must have switched it off by accident. There is probably a lesson to be learned here somewhere.  ::)

Thanks again.