Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MP3 copying onto usb flash stick problem.  (Read 5775 times)

boblalux

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    MP3 copying onto usb flash stick problem.
    « on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:04 AM »
    I have a usb flash stick where I save all my .mp3 files for playing in the car.  Normally no problem, but when I copy a mp3 file (lets call it X.mp3) from the pc to the stick, and try to play X.mp3, I get an error Code C00D11B1 message, followed by the attached message (Windows Media Player encountered a problem when playing the file). The file can be played on the PC with no problems.  If I load all files together (including the 'problem' file), there is no problem;  all the files can be played.  File X.mp3 just does not seem to like being added onto the stick which already contains other files.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MP3 copying onto usb flash stick problem.
    « Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:59:24 AM »
    Is there anything strange about this file either in size or naming with special characters etc? I had to change the name of an MP3 file before to get it to play without troubles before. I'd make a copy of this file on the PC and rename it and copy a renamed version of it to the stick such as test.mp3 and see if it then plays with no problems.

boblalux

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
      No, I tried with different files on the Stick:  copy to pc, rename, copy back to stick, attempt at playing. Error,  both when I use WMA and when I use RealPlayer Cloud.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 12:10:01 PM »
      Hard to understand.  My guess is a hardware issue. Only a guess.
      Is the file copy protected?
      Have you tried other media players?
      Have you tried other USB sticks?

DRM, Digital rights management,  can make it hard for users to play their favorite music anywhere. Is there any resown to think it is a DRM issue?
      The geek video is relevant only  if it is a DRM  problem.  So don't watch it   unless you are very curious.
      http://socialjumpstart.com/8-mind-blowing-facts-digital-rights-management/
      (The whole point of the above video is that nobody ever reads the terms of service. When you  download a copyrighted file you have to agree. You do not own the file. It could vanish if the copyright owner wants.)

boblalux

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
        Thanks all of you, the problem has been resolved.  I transferred all the files from the problem 16Go stick to a new (30Go) stick, and the problem has gone away:  I can now at a later stage copy individual files from the pc to the new stick, and have no more problems playing thes files.  No more errors  Can anyone tell me what the problem what have seen to be?  Old stick?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 12:44:19 PM »
        It could be anything from specific driver for the flash controller in the stick to, a stick that is not operating within the normal parameters of normal USB sticks ( outside of tolerance ), to a damaged stick.

The good thing is that these days unless you have a large flash drive, they are dirt cheap to replace. I have a pile of these in a ziplock bag with data back ups on them etc as well as bootable tools and system recovery sticks marked with silver sharpie marker in case I need to reinstall the OS clean to my netbook for example that has no optical drive and had a system recovery software built into it to make a system recovery flash stick set of 2 sticks, 1 with the OS, and 1 with applications that are optional install.

Good to see you got it working.

I have only had 1 stick go bad on me in the 8 years or so that i have been using them. The problems I had with the one that died on me was that windows would complain when it connected that it wanted to correct for problems and I would allow for it to correct these, and when reading data off of it it seemed to work ok, but when writing data to it it was super slow to the point that I thought it had stopped transferring to the stick, but there was a slow trickle of writing to this device. The good thing is that since it was able to read fine, but had write issues, i copied all the contents to my C: drive and then copied the contents to a new larger stick. The stick that failed was a 1GB stick that I got really cheap as part of a Live linux distro on a USB stick for like $5 back when 1GB sticks were like $8 new. I figured I'd save myself $3 and buy this to try out and likely format to use as a normal stick. The USB stick was a very cheap brand and it didnt last more than about a year of constant use daily. I tried all sorts of online free tools to try to recondition the flash, but it had to have been damaged someway and maybe by design when it detects a flaw in its flash memory, the memory controller slows the transfer rate to point out that the stick is not to be trusted anymore. Just an assumption as for I am not sure if the internal flash controllers are smart enough or designed well enough to perform error checking and then to throttle the speed if there are problems like this when writing to the stick only whereas the reading from the stick was as fast as its always been.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
        The file is corrupt...means either a bad file ...or your stik is getting ready to fail.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 08:14:53 PM »
        I am not sure if the internal flash controllers are smart enough or designed well enough to perform error checking

A deference states that ECC is not used on the USB stinks found in the 99 cent bin at the  local surplus store.