Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slow internet speeds(suspucting wiring)  (Read 13183 times)

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    Slow internet speeds(suspucting wiring)
    « on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
    so im getinng poor internet speeds after calling my ISP clubtelco, the tech support said i should be getting alot fater speeds than im getting. ATM im getting about 23ms ping 2.29Mbs DL and 0.87 Mbs UL. After running some tests he said he has to send a guy out to look at the problem and if its on my end its going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Details in short;

slow internet speeds
    thinking its wrong wiring
    Modem: neatgearD6300
    connected via LAN
    ADSl2+ service with clubtelco
    Tried different modem and wires phone cord and Ethernet cable

I also when under my house and traced the wires to see if i could find a NID of some sort but the phone cable runes straight into the ground

I think it is my wiring can someone please take a look at the attached file and let me know if it is right or wrong please?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
    intel i7 4930k with corsair liquid cooling
    geforce GTX titan 3gb super-clocked
    corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
    intel 120gb SSD
    gigabyte x79-p4 motherbord
    corsair cubecase

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Slow internet speeds(suspucting wiring)
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »
    This is from dictation. There are some errors I did not catch when proff reading.
    Let me offer some suggestions. I have been using DSL for many years. I have also had cable modem and at one time, wideband wireless.
    The best service I ever had was through the cable modem. But the price is just outside of my comfort zone, so I had to go back to using DSL.
    Oftentimes, I have had to call the phone company and complain about my DSL service. A few times. They suggested it might be my indoor wiring. I am quite sure it is not my indoor wiring, although at one time I was going to believe that. Here is why I say that. At one time I had my DSL modem mounted on the back porch, which is also our laundry room. It is a fully enclosed area and has a reliable AC outlet. The phone wires for the house also passed by that area. So if one time I made a connection to the phone wires and passed it through the wall into my house. I haven't the modem directly connected up to the outside line. At that point, and I had a filter that would then seem the rest of the telephone system inside the house. Also, I had a chat  plug on bug the house, telephones. So, this was enough to verify that the house wiring was not interfering with the DSL connection. A common problem is when many wires might have been spliced onto a home telephone system, and you have a wire going somewhere and you forgot about it. In some cases, an extra spliced hooked onto the telephone wiring may interfere with proper operation of the modem. But this is usually a problem only if the wiring is very extensive. But in my case, I am living in a small modular home and know the wiring is not very extensive. Anyway.
    So what I'm getting at is that I made arrangements with the wiring myself so I could disable the rest of the house and see what performance increase. I can get. none. After using that arrangement for a long period of time. I found it put the modem back in the house, properly installed. With the filters, and noticed that there was not any noticeable difference in the performance or reliability.
    When my DSL connection goes down, it goes down badly, suddenly  and severely. There is no evidence that the house wiring had anything to do with this. One would expect a difficulty in the house wiring would have shown itself. by this time. Instead, the only relationship with the DSL quality and any phenomena is the external conditions. Namely, the telephone company has not replaced the trunk wires from this neighborhood over to their distribution point for many, many years. It is pathetic. The phone company I absolutely refuses to replace those cables in the hope that someday they will go fiber optic. If I were to wait for them to put in fiber optic my., - my beard would grow down to my knees.
    Meanwhile, I just keep complaining to the telephone company using the number they recommended. And from there, making tests from their office. I will go outside and disconnect my wiring system at the terminal outside of the house. This way, when they come up with some kind of error, they can't tell me that's my house wiring. From time to time. they have sent out technicians and invariably the problem is with the telephone companies external wiring. Over the months and years they had to switch my line back and forth, looking for a pair on this old decrepit cable that will meet DSL specifications. They have stopped telling me it's my house wiring.
    In other words,   I  know how to disconnect a wire. I know that when a wire is disconnected completely, it cannot be the reason for something going wrong. I disconnect all the house wiring and have the modem not even outside the house and the problem is still there. And over the months and years I have used different modems too. I have replace it once.
    Here is my conclusion. Some phone companies just to not want to upgrade their old equipment that dates back to almost World War II. They keep thinking someday they're going to have fiber-optic cable in this area. I don't think so. Meanwhile, the cable company would be my option if I could afford it. And that is not just my opinion, this is what other people in the neighborhood are telling me also.
    So there is my rant, based principally on my experience, not the fact that I have many years experience test electronic technician.  :)
    EDIT: My ISP is AT&T in northern California.
    Others have complained also. See here:
    http://at-amp-t-dsl-internet-reviews.measuredup.com/3823
    Other DSL provide might have better equipment. I don't know.
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:58:09 PM by Geek-9pm »

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
      So basiclly what your saying is that the wiring in the picture is ok and its a problem with the exchange (which btw is only 300m from my house) the reason i thought it was wiring is because iv always had this sort of speed and assumed it was all i could get, but after talking to the tech and him saying i should be getting at least upwards of 10mbs and i only get 2. i just dont want to pay the tech $120 call out fee and $75 for every half hour he is it my house.
      corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
      intel 120gb SSD
      corsair cubecase

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
      Ask the Phone company to give you a good connection outside your house. There is nothing magic about telephone wire. If they can bring a good connection to the outside of the r house, you can bring a wire into the house.
      In dry weather  you could just put the modem outside your house and tie it right to the phone line. You can then run an ether net cable l into your house through a window. (This is a temporary test to verify the quality of the external line.)

Depending on where you live, you can complain to the Public Utilizes commission of the state. In most areas the law is that you can contract with an independent contractor for  the inside wiring. Outside the house the phone company is not to charge any extra for the service. The law mallows them to change you for work done inside the house, but not outside. You can repair or  replace the indoor wiring yourself.
      Check the filters. Lack of a filter  cuts the download speed way down. Discontent the answering machine and the fax machine. Put the filter on the  extensions phones.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter
      The dual line filter splits the signal for either phone or modem.
      You can buy new filters if you suspect that any have burnt out.
      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=DSL+spliotter&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ADSL+spliotter
      Prices vary from  $1 to $8 for the two-way splitter
      Look here:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP6IKid4joI
      Notice the splitter is called a dual line connector in the video.
      You can do it!

MichaelNyby

Beginner
        • Experience: Familiar
        Re: Slow internet speeds(suspecting wiring)
        « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
        juicebox, might we be informed of the Net Speed Tool you are using to get that info?

And are you sure that you are 300 meters from the exchange building?  You are practically on top of that place.  Guess that is very possible, but not usual, I don't think.

Oh yes, key point that caught my eye is you are too early for asking a tech fella/gal to come to your place.  So many things can influence Net speeds and I think you might want to hold up a bit.  Especially as they want you to pay some money and sort of sounds like an open-ended thing, yes?  And that business of 75 smackers per half hour!  Is that really what them tech folks are getting over there in that part of the world these days?

Anyway, I don't recommend you call for that tech fella/gal quite yet. 

EDIT:  Now I see the attachment.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 10:29:31 PM »
          Thanks for the reply michaelnyby im using www.speedtest.net and yes in sure I can practacly see it from my house

Also thank you for the useful advice I will cancell and keep trouble shooting

So does the wiring look right to you?
          corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
          intel 120gb SSD
          corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
            « Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
            Well, I am not sure what those two little wires are sticking out of that box, if that's your question. 

Oh yes, a good question is whether you hear static on your phone line?

When I did the troubleshooting on my line that turned out to be a problem outside that I identified myself and I could hear all sorts of static on the line whenever I made a call or even just picking up the receiver and listening.

But I did have a pretty serious problem and that static may not be so common in many cases.  Still, it is something I remember, so  I ask.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 01:31:39 AM »
              Im not sure either... I have a mate who is an electrician and he says its ok but im still not sure.

About the static.. I got my house mate to listen to the line when I called it he said it was ok but i could hear the littlest bit (havnt used a home phone in many years bot sure if its ok or no. Not sure where to go from here though what do you think my next step should be?

I have even gone as far as cleaning each contact and cuting the wire.a ittle shorter to make sure it making a good connection...
              « Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:05:42 AM by juicebox »
              corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
              intel 120gb SSD
              corsair cubecase

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 03:06:15 AM »
                just some additional information;

i was curious what another technician would recommend if i called again with the same problem... so i called and the interesting thing is my Line Attenuation is, DL= 75.5db UL= 9.3db Noise margen is, DL= 6.1db UL= 9.3db. based on these figures im 5000m away from the nearest exchange but according to www.adsl2exchanges.com.au Im alot closer than that, have a look; Line of Sight: 395 m Estimated Cable: 652 m Estimated Attenuation: 10 Estimated Maximum Speed: 23000
                corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                intel 120gb SSD
                corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                  « Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 03:15:33 AM »
                  Good gosh, I see that I didn't see.  I didn't see those white lines nor the blue ones.  Now I am really confused.  They don't look like a heavy enough gauge to be electrical, so what those are there for escapes me.

What can you tell us about that arrangement?  Do you know what they are for?  Maybe speaker phone wires?  Alarm system wires?  Although, if you have alarm system wires in a picture on the Net I'd be a tad uncomfortable discussing that.  What else uses low-gauge wires besides communications and alarm systems?

Anyway, I sure wasn't looking closely enough at that image.  Sorry about that, as Agent 86 used to say.

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 03:51:01 AM »
                    I have no idea at all we have owned this house since it was built and never had anything like that installed only thing we used to have is foxtel but that wouldn't have anything to do with it right?
                    Do you want me to take some more pictures fir you or even a video I can upload to youtube?
                    corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                    intel 120gb SSD
                    corsair cubecase

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 04:06:27 AM »
                      Now im really confused... I got led to believe that 1 color is 1 phone line... having 2 lines in the house I went to unplug a set of the wores I tryed unplugging the white ones both of them. Picked up the phone and there was no dial tone... so I put then back in place and unplugged the blue pair same thing happened... btw I cancelled the tech coming out :)
                      corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                      intel 120gb SSD
                      corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                        « Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 04:11:16 AM »
                        Okey-dokey, the italic font means I wrote that before your last post and I'll leave that there while I digest your last post, which does look odd, by the way.  But there are some questions below the italic part that should still be answered.

___I don't think further images posted here will help anyone.  You are the only one that can poke around and find out what those wires are for.  But I get the feeling that your problem with your Net connection isn't related to those wires, if they've been there even while you had good speeds up and down.

I still think you should figure out what those wires are for, though.
                        ___

As for your Net connection, do you have slow speeds at all times of the day and night, or might there be some changes during off-hours?  I suppose off-hours would be something like 1am to 5am, to be safe.

Not meaning to get personal, but do you have any businesses around your home that may be causing any sort of trouble?  And that's a loaded question, because there are a fair number of things that can cause disruption to a landline connection.  And I am thinking of businesses because you are so close to your exchange buliding.

You've checked your ISP's web information page and saw nothing about them upgrading any equipment or doing maintenance, even if it didn't look like it was related to your own service plan?

And when you talked to that fella on the phone about this, did he ask to get back to you before he answered your question about whether there was any sort of problem at their end?

juicebox

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 04:25:57 AM »
                          With the slow speeds iv never really noticed until I poked around and my isp said you should be getting alot faster speeds. Iv just had a couple of mates move in recently so I have never noticed the lag until now.

Yes slow speeds are constant all day everyday from 4 people on my network to just me

I live near a couple of schools and a shopping centre but that's all I can really think of if anything else comes to mind ill post it up

I have been in thier web site a fair few times latly and I didn't see anything of the sort

The tech support guy didnt say anything like that when I asked he just said thats why we need to send out a guy to cheak it

I just unplugged the second phone line I help the home phone upto my ear and disconnected wires and the main line did not dissconnect. I unplugged the right wire and the white ones and the left wire on the blue ones no changes to speed sadly
                          corsair 16gb ram (2x8gb)
                          intel 120gb SSD
                          corsair cubecase

MichaelNyby

Beginner
                            « Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 04:41:09 AM »
                            Firstly, put all the wires back the way they were.  Don't want any messing about with the wiring that worked properly before all this.  I mean that worked even if at slow speeds.

Next thing is that fella not having any other department check anything and right off yapping about sending somebody out would be a mighty weird style for this country, but maybe over there something is normal about that.  Might be best to wait a bit and see what some other folks post here about all that.

And you seem to be indicating that the speeds you are getting now have been what you've been getting all along, or did I get that wrong?  So it could be that whatever is the problem has been a problem for a fair bit, yes?

And I don't think I see where you have listed what service plan you have and the listings for speeds for that plan.  Of course, you are not likely to get what the listed speeds are, but sort of close is okay and you do live really close to the exchange building.  So what are you supposed to be getting?

And I think you'd better find the NID.  It's got to be around.  No matter that landline coming from underground, there has to be an NID.  It's a detached house?

EDIT:  And I see that my "over there" was wrong and needs to be phrased "down there" because you folks are south of us.  I thought you were in North America and that's wrong.  Got it.
                            « Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:56:07 AM by MichaelNyby »