Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet in a field  (Read 2471 times)

mick56

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    internet in a field
    « on: January 18, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
    Hello, i am a complete novice so be gentle with me please.I want to take my laptop camping so i will sometimes be a mile or so from anywhere,how can i get connected to the internet, also i have music on my laptop's Deezer playlist's do i need to be online to play it. Any help would be appreciated.  Mick.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: internet in a field
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »
    A cellular modem or a tether cable between cell phone and computer would allow internet connectivity as long as there is a cell tower in range. Other option is very expensive with portable satellite communication equipment to uplink.

Music if stored locally on the hard drive will play but if its streaming music then you need internet connection.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: internet in a field
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:19:46 PM »
    All of the RVers I hang out with have skipped over using satellite for remote internet due to it's high initial cost as well as monthly cost.   With satellite you are almost assured of being able to access the internet as long as you have a view of the southern sky.  If you're someone that absolutely must have an internet connection and are willing to pay for it, then satellite is the way to go.  However, cellular internet has a lower initial cost (still has a monthly cost) and easier setup.  The drawback to cellular is that there are lots of places you could choose to camp where there is no cell tower nearby.  There are antennas and amplifiers you can get to bring in distant towers but even then there are places where there simply is no cellular available, period.