Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Using desktop as access point (hotspot), or just purchase an access point?  (Read 2926 times)

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
As the title says, I am looking into use my desktop as an access point, or just purchasing an access point for my bedroom. The problem is, our WiFi signal is very, very weak in my bedroom that it is almost useless, but it works just fine anywhere else in the house. I have used a Belkin USB dual band WiFi adapter as an access point on here, but it would stop working that way and not want to do it again unless I restarted the computer. So my question is, pretty straight forward, what would be best? Directions to products will also help. Thanks for any and all help you guys can give me.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Using desktop as access point (hotspot), or just purchase an access point?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 04:43:28 AM »
Not all home network products are equal. A few Wi-Fi devices ca be either the AP or the client.

The best solution is to run a Ethernet cable from you main router to a basic Access point.  The trick is to turn off the DHCP of the  of  the new device.

But APs some times  overpriced as $50 and up. You can buy a reworked Linksys router with DD-WRT for about $30 and make it do almost anything except make coffee.

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
I've found some on Amazon that are under $40.00. I've also tried the Lynksys trick but to no avail.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 03:59:48 PM »
Here's the one I've been using for several years and am very happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA901ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B002YETVXC

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 06:02:51 PM »
Have to agree with Allan; I use the same AP (which can be used as a universal repeater, standard AP, wireless adapter [yep! That's right!], and more) at my work. I think I have about 30 of them up across 3 warehouses for agricultural operations. The removable antennas (which already boast 5Dbi each) let you really unleash its potential, should you choose to ;)

The web interface is also quite gentle for people that don't want to spend a lot of time setting things up or configuring- it has a hot spot search utility that scans for available networks to connect to (this is for repeating and wireless adapter modes). Simply setup the proper security/encryption in the wireless security setup tab (that's is, enter the password/pass phrase and encryption type of the router/AP ready setup in your house), select the AP you wish to connect to, and it does the rest.

And no, I don't work for, nor ever have worked for TP-Link, they just make a solid product! :)
It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »
Mist3rdisc0, very good post! thanks for sharing.  :)

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys. Now, I have another question. I'm just going to be using this for the bedroom I am in, could I get away with getting the N150 version or should I spend the extra money and get the one you suggested? Because, like I said, everywhere else seems to get a signal from the router except this one room.

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
The N150 model (I believe) comes with only 2 antennas versus 3 on the N300 model. While you could likely "get away" with using the lower end model, I would personally recommend against under the logic that it's not much more expensive for the N300 model, and the N300 model should give better data transmission speeds and signal. I can't say that I have any hands-on experience with the N150 model, but it's essentially the same as the N300 but with reduced transmission speed and signal range. Both models should have the same firmware and same Web Inteface options. Hope this helps :)
It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

durango992007

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
Plenty of help actually. Thank you so much for your input. I think I will go with the one you suggested. I agree, the better speeds would benefit more so than the lesser of the 2. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »
You're most welcome! Glad we could help you find a solution! :)