Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ping issues  (Read 2767 times)

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Ping issues
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:13:20 PM »
I have a Dell XPS laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium that will not let other devices on the network ping it. It will however ping any other device it sees. I have used Fing from my iPad to test this and used the ping command from CMD to test this. It also makes no difference if I am connected via wire or wireless as the results are the same. As far as I am aware all the network settings are set at the default settings. I have not had a reason to ping this laptop from other devices  before so I am not sure if this is a new issue or one that has always been there. I have a school program that I now need to run on my laptop but access through my iPad but can't due to this issue.

The current network setup is just a standard router with out internet access. I have reset the router to default settings with no luck.
I have tried to ping this laptop from other devices on multiple different networks with no luck so I don't think it is a network problem. Additionally my iPad will ping other computers on this network including this one and each other computer can ping each other. It is just this one laptop that is being a pain in the *censored*.

I am not that familiar with networking so just let me know what info you need or what you want me to do.

Oh I have ran Malware Bytes and Windows defender and both come up clean.

Thanks in advance for the help.
You can't fix Stupid!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Ping issues
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
Going out on a limb with this one, but try shutting off the firewall and trying to ping it then. Generally the shut off of ping responses is done on higher level hardware such as cisco firewalls etc. I have never configured my firewall to disable pings, but if you are positive that the IP address of this laptop is unable to be pinged, I'd start with disabling local security to this laptop and see where this leads. *This comes at the risk of exposing your system with no firewall so be careful in this process!!!

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 02:11:10 PM »
Dave,

Turning off the firewall did allow this laptop to be pinged. I am not sure why my firewall wouldn't let me ping it before. I reset the firewall to windows default settings just in case something had gotten changed but still no luck with the firewall on.
You can't fix Stupid!!!

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »
Now that we know its a Firewall config issue...

What is the program your trying to run... have you added the program to the firewall exceptions to allow for a port or multiple ports to be opened?

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:38:20 PM »
The software is  ACE's School Management system. Yes I have told the system to allow this program access through the firewall.
You can't fix Stupid!!!

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
So any idea what to do Dave?
You can't fix Stupid!!!

liquidc0d3d

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 01:11:21 PM »
    Hello mroilfield,

well first check if the rule is properly set in your firewall.

From the Start menu, search for Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. Click it to bring up the application.

From the left pane, click Inbound Rules.

In the right pane, find the rules titled File and Printer Sharing (Echo Request - ICMPv4-In).

Right-click each rule and choose Enable Rule.

Get back if issues persists :)

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 01:46:51 PM »
    Liquid

That worked for the pinging issues.