Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 5GHz Wifi  (Read 2450 times)

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
5GHz Wifi
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with 5GHz Wi-Fi? I'm contemplating buying an adapter AC for my PC but I'm not sure if it would be of much use given the range. My router is approximately 10-12 meters away from the PC. Windows claims that I am receiving 5 bars of signal on 2.4GHz but the speed is limited to 2.5mbs So as an alternative I'm considering an antenna instead.

Just for reference my router is a TP-Link Archer C7. Please no "Why don't you use a cable?" suggestions, if I could run a cable I would.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: 5GHz Wifi
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 07:50:48 PM »
You get 5 bars? Only 2.5 Mbps
That does not sound right.
Let me clarify that statement. I mean that I  get about 20 Mbps on a link with only two or three bars. So it must be that something else is reducing your data rate.  Right now I am Internet via a WI-FI link that goes about 15meters and the includes walls and foliage. Still, I watch  Netflix  on it.

So it must be your have some issue that reduces your speed.

Accessless

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: 5GHz Wifi
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 10:54:38 AM »
2.5 Megabytes per second max. On a good day (going on what Windows tells me the transfer rate is).

The signal at the moment is ~-50dBm