Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server not found  (Read 3234 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Server not found
    « on: March 25, 2015, 06:52:05 PM »
    GMX has been my server on this computer for years. However, today when I have logged in to GMX the message 'Server not found' has come up . Retry has not helped. This has happened repeatedly on Firefox so I tried IE with the same result.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Server not found
    « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »
    Do you mean the e-mail server? Here at my home I can get into the main GMX web site.
    http://WWW.GMX.COM
    There does not seem to be any problem.
    If indeed the service is out in your area, you may be a victim of some kind of DOS attack. Do you know how to test for this?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 09:08:46 PM »
      The site I log into is the one you quoted. I do not know how to deal with a DOS attack?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 11:11:38 PM »
      OK. A Denial Of Service attack is when some hostile group  server tries to ruin a good website  by either bombing it with error messages or else messing up the DNS things. If he attacks come from a certain region, the good websitre will block traffic from  that area.

Either way you can workaround the block by  using proxy server.  The proxy server may be in another area where there is no block. That is one way to get to the good web site and inform the administrator that you can not get in.
      List of proxy servers in Canada.

Another tool is the web  serve offer by:
      http://network-tools.com
      The above will look up the current status of a web site using the domain name without the WWW or HTTP:// prefix. The report  includes hops and pings and gives you an idea of the quality of service.  (When you first go there it  gives your IP in dotted decimal format. In that box you enter domain name with no prefix.)

It is a free service, please do not abuse it.

That should help.  :)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 11:30:44 PM »
        I tried a proxy server but that did not work. I have contacted GMX Customer Support and they said it may be a temporary glix and to reply to them if it is still a problem after 24 hours. I will see if it is still a problem tomorrow morning. If it is, I will advise GMX Customer Support by replying to their email and I will also try what you recommend.