Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FritzBox doesn´t prioritize as set.  (Read 6931 times)

Mathy979

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    FritzBox doesn´t prioritize as set.
    « on: April 01, 2015, 07:17:28 AM »
    Hi,
    I have a problem with my FritzBox 7272, I set my Computer as priority and all others as low priority, but whenever I play Online Games like Battlefield 4 or Arma 3 I get high ping as soon as someone else goes on YouTube or anything in that direction! Can someone please help me fix it? I got all admin rights on network and made sure that I am the only one that has priority! Plz help!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: FritzBox doesn´t prioritize as set.
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:51:32 AM »
    How much bandwidth do you have, and what type of internet connection?

Are you running on such a small amount of bandwidth that any other devices streaming or downloading would cripple your internet is my concern. I have configured other routers with bandwidth priority and you need to know what your maximum bandwidth is and then go in and configure it to within the bandwidth that you have. So say you only had 3GB/s bandwidth and you had your router set up to give say 60% bandwidth to the computer and 40% to the other devices, with any other devices active it may through bandwidth allocation chop you directly to 60% when any other traffic is going on in which you have 1.8GB/s and the other devices are given 1.2GB. I had to find the balance with my internet connection when I dropped my bandwidth to save money when the broadband in my area jumped in price. I'm on 5/1 bandwidth for $45 a month which is the bare minimum that works and it only works for me when I have my router which I flashed with DD-WRT setup to allocate portions for priority of service for VoIP phone to be say 1Mb/s by 384kb/s, leaving computers and all other devices with 4Mb/s by 640kb/s so that the phone would not cut out when watching netflix or downloading or playing online games etc. While in games latency is not bad, usually less than 100ms.

Other thing to look into is I am not familiar with FritzBox, but there may be an Enable/Disable option in there that was overlooked in which you think its enabled for priority of service, but its actually shut off. In DD-WRT there is a check box that could easily be missed when setting up the priority of service. Also for priority of service I needed to know the MAC address of the devices that I wanted to give priority and set them up to have a DHCP reservation where they always got specific IP addresses issued to them. It took me about 3 tries to finally get the balance and configuration right with DD-WRT for priority of service and then when i got it working correctly I went in and wrote down all settings into my tech notebook where I keep important config stuff to look back at in the future when say the router needs a factory reset for some reason and I need to reconfigure it back to where it was working before.

If your unsure of your bandwidth you can shut off all other computers and streaming devices and run a bandwidth tester at www.speedtest.net which will give you a download and upload speed. If this figure is nowheres where you should be for bandwidth you either have a device somewhere that is eating up bandwidth such as a neighbor connected to your wifi if you have wifi unsecured or easy to figure out password, or a problem with your service and should get your isp to perform a loopback test to see where the problem is located.

Mathy979

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
      In the FritzBox I can Only configure what Computer is priority, I can´t say for example: PC1 60% all other 40% of connection.
      My Connection is: 2 Mbit/s down and 767Kbit/s up, all I actually want is 50% of the connection for my Pc and the rest for all others, that way I can still have a good ping of +-50 to all local servers.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:29 AM »
      If there is an ability for this box to get flashed with DD-WRT that may be a way to add additional customization which is needed. Otherwise a better router that gives you more customization of bandwidth controls  ( or ) a router that is supported by DD-WRT purchased and flashed with DD-WRT and then configured. With DD-WRT you can specify specifically what devices are given a smaller or larger allocation of bandwidth. Its under the QoS features I went with giving the router the MAC addresses of all devices that I wanted to prioritize bandwidth allocation for. More info here at the link: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

I was able to buy a second hand refurb D-Link wireless router for $20 at newegg and flash it with DD-WRT and turn a $20 router into a feature full router that acts like a higher end router. Before buying a router if you are going to use DD-WRT and not the features that came with the original firmware, be sure that the specific router you would purchase is supported. They have a support list with many there. Some are fully supported, others have known bugs, and many are listed as not supported for older devices where say the flash ROM is not large enough to support DD-WRT etc. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

I have been running on DD-WRT for about 3 years now with no problems. The only difference in the router between OEM Firmware and the DD-WRT is that the LED indicator lights instead of blinking with activity will go from solid on to solid off which at first I was like why is a port dead while a download of a linux ISO was in progress, yet it was communicating with no problems. After the download was complete the LED for that port went back to solid green. I dont care whether the LED blinks or not since its just off in a corner sight unseen most of the time, but this minor difference in how the router displayed traffic caught me off guard. Otherwise the firmware in it runs solid and flawless on my router.

Mathy979

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »
        Sadly my FritzBox is not on the supported list :/.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
         FritzBox is popular in Germany. It is a modem with router and some special  features. There are a wide range of oodles available.  The undocumented things are  not found on other brands of routers.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz!Box

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:06:49 PM »
        What about replacing fritzbox router feature with a different router to have the bandwidth controls that you want? If its a modem/router combo, you can connect it in series and have the other router that has bandwidth controls for priority handle the priorities and not use any bandwidth controls on fritzbox.

Only drawback other than cost of a router to add to this would be a small amount of added latency since there is a very small packet delay in the data going through this other router.