Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dropping packets, internet use slows down VLC and other programs, and more.  (Read 2544 times)

billcarlosbills

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hi all,

In the past month I've noticed some strange behavior on my 3 year old self-built desktop. Here are the specs before I go into a full explanation:

Windows 7 64bit up to date
    Intel i5 3570-k
    16gb ram
    gigabyte mobo (don't remember the model)
    Geforce gtx 670

The problem appeared about a month ago. The first problem was significant lag in an online game. Talked to my ISP (TWC) and after the usual rigmarole a technician came, replaced my router/modem, but told me there was a problem with the cable lines in the area. After about a week, the lag dissipated and I was content enough.

Since then I've continued to notice some other problems. Using Chrome while watching a video on VLC, every time a page loads, the video breaks up. It's usually just the audio being distorted until the page loads completely.

While the lag was prevalent, I ran a ping -t google.com to watch for dropped packets. I was getting 1 in 20 requests timing out. For the past week I've been getting "General Failure" on the ping instead of "Request Timed Out".

I'm just wondering if this is an early sign of hardware failing, and if anyone has any guidance they could give me.

Thanks so much for your time!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Some questions.
    Do you have another computer that has the same symptoms?
    Are you using Wi-Fi for your connection?
    Do you have USB 3.0?
    Have you tried using less RAM for comparison?
    Do you overclock you computer?
    Do you often scan your PC for virus?
    Do you have any new hardware or software installed?
    Have you used an alternative OS for comparison? Perhaps Linux Live USB? That would help identify  possible OS issues or driver issues.

IMHO, it is more likely the cable company is having issues.  :(
    Where are you? Who is the company?

Service quality varies a lot. Even with the same company.
    Here is a remark from a happy customerr in one area if the USA:
    After having some problems with my internet dropping out, I checked my connections and found that the cable going across the street to the easement on my property was filled with water. The first tech who was sent out didn't fix anything, and never showed up the next day to finish his job. The next tech was very good, he replaced the cable with water in it, installed two NIDs to keep water out, and was very friendly. He scheduled an installer to come and re-wire my outlets 2 days later.
      :D

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
     zeeshan002 are you billcarlosbills?

If you are it would be helpful to answer Geek-9pm's questions about your situation