Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Time discrepancies  (Read 2862 times)

kyle_engineer

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Network Time discrepancies
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
So my network (with about 35 client workstations) currently has 3 DCs, one of which is the PDC. The PDC is running Windows Server 2003, and the other 2 are running Server 2000 (for the time being). For the life of my I cannot get the times to actually balance out across my network.

I noticed one thing that's a little funny which is that the output of a
Code: [Select]
w32tm /monitor query shows that the new PDC is referencing the old time server and the old time server is referencing the new PDC as it's time server...  ??? It looks to me that it was not setup correctly when the new PDC what installed, so I'm trying to figure our how to get it right.

At this moment, I have all 3 servers showing the correct time, and the largest NTP offset is under 0.02s, so that's good. However, I still can't get the time right on the client machines. From what I can tell I have successfully disabled Daylight Savings on the DCs, but for some reason most of the workstations are still displaying the Daylight Savings time!? And whatever I do to try to get them showing the right time just gives me an access denied error (this happens if I run the commands from the workstation as User or Admin, and from all of the DCs including the PDC when being run as admin too).

Anyway, it seems all jacked up to me and I really can't make heads or tails out of whatever is going on. Basically I need it to work so that whenever I change the time on the PDC the network will follow suit.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
"Any answer is only as good as it satisfies the question." - Me

0000000100101011000 -
010010010010000001001100010011110100110 001000000010110010100111101010101

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Network Time discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:01:40 PM »
General note:
The OP means Primary Domain Controller
That means a  PDC s a server computer in a Windows NT domain.
The PDC has an administration account which has overall total control of the domain resources. This is a legacy thing from Windows NT.

My questions:
Why use the PDC concept with modern versions of Windows network?
Why not have all stations use the National Time Service once  a day?
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Just asking.   :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Re: Network Time discrepancies
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:12:38 PM »
One more this. Recently MS  Tech Net updated this article:
How the Windows Time Service Works