Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't connect to internet through ethernet. Please Help!  (Read 4293 times)

sissy

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Can't connect to internet through ethernet. Please Help!
    « on: April 13, 2015, 09:02:35 AM »
    I have a Dell Inspiron small desk 3647 computer that's a year old. Connecting to the internet through Ethernet/Router was working fine until we had a storm and lost cable and internet service for a day and a half. My husband got internet back on his computer but mine will only recognize Wi-Fi. Keeps saying Windows did not detect networking hardware. Every time I run a scan to detect problems it says my connection is fine, I guess because I'm connected through Wi-Fi. Cable guy says no Ethernet driver. I'm not sure what to do or how to fix it. Please help! I have spent two days googling it and still haven't gotten anywhere. I think it lies between drivers and IP address but not sure what to do or how to do it. :-[ any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before it was working fine before the storm. My husband and I are on the same router but are wired separately.  Mine is showing no other connections other than Wi-Fi. Sorry I forgot to mention I'm running Windows 8.1
    « Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:36:23 AM by sissy »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't connect to internet through ethernet. Please Help!
    « Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »
    Did you say electrical storm?
    Even a nearby lightning strike can generate lots of secondary spikes on wires and cables in a neighborhood.
    Your Ethernet hardware is partially damaged. But there is no way to repair it. You must use Wi-Fi for network connections.

Another choice.
    Cable MattersŪ USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Adapter
    Maybe that will work.   :)

sissy

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 01:46:37 PM »
      Thank you. Is there anyway to be sure and why is it not repairable? Just asking?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
      I suppose you have a router and you can connect another PC to it using Ethernet.
      Try using this command on both computers. One at a time. This command shows what local IP assignments the PC gets from the router.
      Open the command line thing.
      type in
      ipconfig /all
      This will show of list of things found.
      It should look almost the same on both computers.
      If there is a big difference, the Ethernet is not working.

Only one computer? Well t\try it and see how much info you find.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

sissy

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 09:34:08 PM »
        Thank you! We did this and mine basically refers to everything being wireless. His don't. I went ahead and ordered Cable MattersŪ USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Adapter and a 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub because I needed that too. But after I ordered it I couldn't figure out how this would work.  If my Ethernet card or whatever it's called is missing or broke, then how is this going to find it?  It's still going to be plugged into my computer.   ::)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
        You did say that one computer works on Ethernet and one does not. That would implicate that the sick computer Ethernet hardware was damaged, but not the router. The solution is to use another Ethernet adapter.

The most convenient way to add a new n Ethernet connection to a PC is to use the Ethernet to USB device.

Image from Amazon.com

The device has both a USB plug and a Ethernet jack. You may have to go into device manager and disable the non-working Ethernet device. Normally Windows will select a device that is functional. If not, you have to force it by running the connection Wizard again.

sissy

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
          Problem solved. Thank you so much! I ordered the Ethernet adapter and it came in today. Working like a charm! I didn't have to do anything, just plugged it in and my computer picked it up automatically. Thank you so much for your help and your suggestions. ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 02:36:40 PM »
          You are welcome!  :)