Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop 30mb download Desktop 3mb download?!  (Read 3847 times)

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

Laptop 30mb download Desktop 3mb download?!
    « on: April 22, 2015, 05:32:13 AM »
    Hey,

I just upgraded to fibre yahoooo!

I am getting 30mb download on my laptop which is fantastic but only around 2-8mb download on my desktop. I have tested from exactly the same position from the router both through WiFi.

What could be causing this?

Appreciate any help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop 30mb download Desktop 3mb download?!
    « Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 07:41:40 AM »
    What OS is on each PC ?
    What AV program is running? Some AV programs scan everything the come down the line. Try the test with the AV disabled for a short time.

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:28:36 PM »
      What OS is on each PC ?
      What AV program is running? Some AV programs scan everything the come down the line. Try the test with the AV disabled for a short time.

Hi it's Windows 7 Home Premium.

I just have AVG Free running. I tried disabling and ran test again but no change really.

Drivers of network card seem up to date. Could it be a hardware issue in my network adaptor?

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
      Both connections are using WI-Fi?
      Wireless connections, by nature, can vary a lot deepening on a number of factors. But even so, a ten to one variation is not normal for two PCs in the same area.

As a control, what happens if you use direct Ethernet cable?  If that gives normal   results, we can conclude there is a problem with the wireless adapters.

Cheap USB Wi-Fi adapters are an easy way to test out your wireless. Some under $15 work as well as the high price models.  Do Google search.

You expect no more than 30 Mbps,  so the  type N adapter is not needed. The type G is good enough, it can do up to 54 Mbps.

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 01:27:09 PM »
        Both connections are using WI-Fi?
        Wireless connections, by nature, can vary a lot deepening on a number of factors. But even so, a ten to one variation is not normal for two PCs in the same area.

As a control, what happens if you use direct Ethernet cable?  If that gives normal   results, we can conclude there is a problem with the wireless adapters.

Cheap USB Wi-Fi adapters are an easy way to test out your wireless. Some under $15 work as well as the high price models.  Do Google search.

You expect no more than 30 Mbps,  so the  type N adapter is not needed. The type G is good enough, it can do up to 54 Mbps.

I forgot I had a USB network adaptor. Just tried it getting less than 0.5mb download! Really strange.

I don't have a long enough ethernet cable to test the hardwired connection at the moment, might have to buy one though to test.

This is really bizarre.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 01:41:33 PM »
        Here is a reference about your kind of problem:
        10 reasons your Wi-Fi speed stinks
        In addition to distance, the other wireless signal killers are the objects and elements that are in the way of throughput, namely water and metal. Water acts as a blockade for 2.42GHz signals, so it may be wise to get all objects in your home or office that contain any form of liquids out of the way (this includes radiators and flower pots -- no kidding!). Also make sure that metal objects are not in the way of your router and your clients: this goes for metal furniture as well as metal boards, tech gear, etc.
        But I still think you should try another adapter just to be sure.

pokerjk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
          Here is a reference about your kind of problem:
          10 reasons your Wi-Fi speed stinksBut I still think you should try another adapter just to be sure.

Yes I don't think it's the distance / anything in the way as I tested the laptop from exactly the same location as my Desktop.

I did try another adapter, no luck!  :o