Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bundling My Networking Issues  (Read 2614 times)

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
  • Don't feel bad...I'm lost too.
    Bundling My Networking Issues
    « on: June 14, 2015, 10:18:37 PM »
    Hi again, so I have a few issues. May I please just list them and if you need to reassign them, okay.  1) Have you guys.dolls ever recommended this program?

http://windowstechies.com/-/en/filename/?t=1&k=aol%20not%20responding&m=b&u=&c=55860028710&file=aol%20not%20responding&gclid=CJDup9jZkMYCFcQSHwoder0Aow

If so and I was thinking of installing it would you nod or shake your head?

2) Is Windows Vista also Windows XP 5.1 (build 2600) Service Pack 2?  My computer I thought was loaded with Windows Vista and in fact that's what comes up yet in the AOL System Info it is listed as W XP 5.1 yada yada...  Please any info will help me.

3) Twitter has redefined and assigned some of ita users according to their browser or something. SO They placed me on Twitter Mobile. This is for user with IE6 or IE7.  I have IE8 and Twitter excuses the mistake by saying if you have IE8 or IE9 and you're having the mobile issues please do a compatibility check and fix. Hello, I'm in here because I am not an IT person. SO how do I do a compatibility thing to comply with twitter.

I am considering reloading IE9 but I dread the red Xes that will show up. I found a few fixes for the problem but I'm not happy with them. If I load IE9 and the red Xes show up (they always do) what should I do to get my page images?

I think those are all the questions I have right now.

Thank you guys.  Btw, should I fear downloading these softwares that are suppose to be one click fixes?
    If you say, "I can", you're right. If you say, "I can't", you're also right.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bundling My Networking Issues
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »
    Very short answer.  Use Firefox.   ;)

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »
      Sigh! Are you guys assuming that FireFox is the best thing since sliced bread. That can't possibly be the answer to every problem. People complain about Firefox also.

I'm not trying to be stubborn or rude, You guys are too good at what you do. However, can you give me solutions for the browser I have?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:46 AM »
      To answer your questions:

1) Don't even think about it - Total junk software that will do more harm than good - Same with all "one click fix" software.

2) Version 5.1 is XP, Vista is 6.0.  Many computers from the Vista era were downgraded to XP due to Vista's bugs when it first came out.  If the machine has a licence for Vista (sticker on the case with a Vista product key) you should be able to upgrade to Vista.  You should however be able to tell which version it is by how it looks - e.g. Does your start menu actually have the word "Start" on it?

3) According to Twitter they proposed dropping support for IE8 in January of this year - This may well be the issue: https://twittercommunity.com/t/update-on-twitter-for-websites-ie7-and-ie8-browser-support/28234.  I would also suggest trying a different browser - While a browser is a personal preference, IE8 is totally outdated now so I am not remotely surprised that sites are dropping support for it.  If you are on XP then IE8 is the newest version available so you would need to try something different like Chrome or Firefox, if you are on Vista then you should be able to update to IE9 which, while still outdated, is at least still supported by most sites for now.

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:41:34 PM »
        Thank you camerongray... 1) I guess it could be like the Nigerian Scams. Sounds good but stinks.

2) The thing is about the system loaded on here, when I ask what system am I suing it always says Windows Vista. But the AOL System Info shows Windows XP 5.1(Build 2600) I mean if I was sold a machine and told it is loaded with WV but it's actually WXP isn't that fraud and an illegal practice. I mean the comp didn't change while I was using it did it. Meaning, maybe Windows auto loaded something in one of their many, many, many, downloads that changed my comp from WV to WXP. Let me check... (Which Windows operating system am I running? This PC is running: Windows Vista)
         So you're saying that could be false? Even the materials that came with the machine.

3) The same thing that happend to MySpace will prolly happen to Twitter. Just like what has happened to Online retailers like Walmart.COm and Target... I have no idea why the business worl thinks most people on line have highspeed and state of the art computers. They don't. Anyway, I loaded IE9 on Tuedsay and now I should need to figure out how to get Twitter back rather than Mobile Twitter.

4) My bigger issue is why my Adobe Installer won't completely install ver 18.  Thanks again camerongray. Most insightful.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 03:50:49 AM »
        2) If AOL is the only thing claiming that it's XP and everything else is Vista, I imagine it is Vista and it's just a but with AOL's software.  Also, if you were able to install IE9 then it must be Vista since XP does not support anything above IE8.

3) I highly doubt that - These businesses do actually know what they are doing.  It's not like they just think "hey, we'll just stop IE8 users using the site for fun."  Old browsers like IE8 do not support modern web features and often require specific workarounds to make all functionality work - This means that the company need to pay people to keep the site working in these old browsers.  When they decide to drop support for a given browser they will look carefully at how many of their users use these old browsers and how much revenue it generates them.  They clearly felt that the time that they would have to spend making the site work in an older browser was not worth the amount of money they would get for it.

For example, on one of my sites, Less than 1% of users use Internet Explorer 8.0 or older and on another that figure is even lower at less than 0.4% - Why should I bother spending the time to support such a small section of users?

casse2go

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »
          Good Day camerongray, and thank you for your advice. So yes, when I check the browser it still says IE9 in the IE window and when I use a checker. So I'll accept that I have properly loaded IE9.

Thank you also for taking the time to explain in #3.  Many times Techies, I guess, assume the ppl that request help know or should know about computers. But it simply isn't true in all cases. I will file your info away and act accordingly. I'll work on the compatibility of Twitter and will either get my status back or drop Twitter.  Not to argue with you but Twitter has posted that if you have IE8 or IE9 you can make the site compatible with the broswer. So we'll see. Thanks camerongray... if there's a hUMp in your way, get over it!  :)