Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop - Only - Is Slllloowwww  (Read 2244 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Laptop - Only - Is Slllloowwww
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »
I thought I'd posted this in the past but can't find it.

When I try to connect my laptop to my home wireless DSL network, it takes forever to connect, and then is slower than dialup. When it does connect, it shows a strong signal.

It connects fine to any and all other networks - secure, open, etc. (Even though this only happens at home, I can switch over to tethering on my phone without moving the laptop one inch... So it's not like my home is casting off some kind of anti-PC-WiFi death ray.)

Three different iPads, an iPhone, a Galaxy Phone, and a Blu-Ray player all connect to the network correctly.

I don't know when this first began, but it seems to be pretty constant. I will say it seems (no real data) to be taking longer, and is weaker when finally connected.

I have checked my wireless card drivers and they seem to be up-to-date.

Anything else I can look at?

rjb

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Laptop - Only - Is Slllloowwww
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:04:14 PM »
I have had this happen on occasion with my wireless and I have found that rebooting the wireless router and computer fix this.

Reason for rebooting both is so that the computer comes up booting fresh looking to connect to wifi vs sitting idle in which it might not request a connection. On a boot up when wifi drivers are mounted and if wifi is enabled it will poll the wireless and request a connection. Reason for the wireless hardware reboot such as router is that I have seen where DHCP acts up and so the lease for the wireless adapter is hung and so it doesnt establish a correct connection/lease with the wireless hardware and so by rebooting the wireless router etc, it forces the wireless router to reestablish new lease connections to all wired and wireless devices connected to it.