Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Repeatedly resetting wi-fi adapter  (Read 2953 times)

Clayto2

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Repeatedly resetting wi-fi adapter
    « on: July 13, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »
    For quite a while (a couple of months, plus) I have had a problem with my wireless Broadband connection  It disconnects at least once a day, sometimes more often. With the help of the  Windows 8.1 Troubleshooter I usually, but not always, correct the problem fairly easily. The message I normally get is that the wi-fi adapter needs to be 'reset', ie. 'fixed'.  My ISP checked the Broadband service, they say it is not at fault and suspected the Router needed replacing --- which they did, with their latest model.  Sadly, the issue did not go away.

One suggestion is that there is some wireless appliance interfering, but it is not clear what that might be. And the suggestion that I try connecting with a cable for a while is not practical in my set up.  Might there be a glitch on my Tablet PC?  How would I find it if there is?

clayto

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Repeatedly resetting wi-fi adapter
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »
    The message I normally get is that the wi-fi adapter needs to be 'reset'

This is common for when there is a problem for a service and it needs to reset.

Are there any errors in the event log for this system?
    Is the wireless signal strong or weak where the computer is running?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »
    Here is some information that may be of some help.
    Five free wireless networking tools
    Monitor, secure, and optimize your Wi-Fi network with the help of these handy apps. By Brien Posey , June 25, 2012.
    You can look and see of other networks are nearby and what channels they use.You may need to select a different channel for you wireless network.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:20 AM »
    Good point Geek-9pm

I have seen 2 neighbors with same router SSID on same Channel both unsecure in which a laptop connected to the network, but the network would change between theirs and the neighbors as the neighbors would come in stronger than their own in certain parts of their apartment.