Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Slowing down internet  (Read 2438 times)

ekw94

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer Slowing down internet
    « on: August 10, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »
    I have Windstream internet the best available speed. I play xbox 1 a lot. For the past year, whenever my computer (Windows 7) is connected to my wifi EVERYTHING connected to the internet slows down horribly, and causes horrible lag on my game system. I first thought it was the internet, but after working with windstream, we figured out that as long as my laptop is not connected it will run the best. As soon as its connected its barely going enough to run. I tried Microsoft Essentials and it says no viruses. What is going on with my computer.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Slowing down internet
    « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
    I'd run wireshark and watch the packets. You then can see the source and destination IP's as well as some packets might have clear text so you will then know what is going on when that computer connects and cripples your bandwidth. It might be as innocent as Microsoft update downloader being a hog or you could have something that is hiding itself from AV's, but a network packet sniffer will point out.

https://www.wireshark.org/

With the IP addresses, you can then perform an IP Lookup with a site such as this one: http://ip-lookup.net/

And figure out what is going on.

Last time I had a client with an issue like this it was that they had wifi enabled on their laptop connected to the same wired/wireless router that was also hard wired to the same laptop and somehow it was creating a network storm looping back on itself.