Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Adding extra wireless router onto router/modem combo?  (Read 5916 times)

amamone93

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Adding extra wireless router onto router/modem combo?
    « on: August 12, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
    Last year our our isp (Time Warner) switched out our existing modem and router for a combined ubee router/modern. Up until now it has enhanced or WiFi network and worked great.

This year we have been remodeling our (disconnected) garage and I decided to bring an Ethernet cable along with coaxial cable out to it through a conduit thinking I would be able to wire another router to my existing router/modem via Ethernet.

The only problem with my approach is that apparently when another router is connected to the ubee modem, it shuts down it's router ability and only broadcasts a WiFi signal through the external router which isn't helpful because anyone inside the house would lose their WiFi connection. When I called my isp for help they said it was because the WiFi signals would interfere with each other and they suggested getting a WiFi extender instead.

My problem with that response is that the location of the new router doesn't get any signal from the ubee router. Plus I've already run 70 ft of conduit and it would suck to have that work go to waste.

Basically what I'm asking is if there is a way to have either 2 separate WiFi signals (house and garage) or somehow reconfigure the router in the garage to extend the range of our house router.

BTW the extra router I'm trying to use is a Belkin n+ wireless router.

Any suggestions, solutions or ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Adding extra wireless router onto router/modem combo?
    « Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:32:35 PM »
    Your ISP people hired janitors for technicians. (No offense toward Janitors.)  ;D
    Two routers? One at the end of a long cable?
    Yes, people do it all the time. Here are the general rules.
    First: Both routers must uise different local IP numbers. Otherwise lyou could not change the settings on either if they both were on the same number.
    Second: the assignments of CPD must be delegated. This is a little more involved. Simple way is to just have the first router do the DHCP and the second will not do it. Disable DHCP on second router.
    Here are local IP numbers I often use.
    192.168.0.1   The first router, the one that has the Internet Modem.
    192.168.0.2 The second router at the end of the long Ethernet cable.

Other address combinations are suitable. Bother routers can be in the same sub net. That means the the first three number blocsks are the same, only the fourth differs. To set it up the first time you have to plug the second router into a computer and change the local IP number. And turn off the router power for a few seconds to let it initialize again. And don't forget you changed the IP.

Also, you plug the cable into a LAN port. The router is no working as a AP (Access Point) It gives accesses to the LAN but does not assign the addresses.

To set up the second wireless, you the address of the second router, the AP. Use a different channel if you like. That may help improve speed.

Come back here if you need more help.

EDIT: This is how I get the the second router the first time:
    http://192.168.0.1
    After I change the local IP I must now on use:
    http://192.168.0.2