Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can not connect pc to laptop using xover cable, have do  (Read 2469 times)

mlmiller707

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    can not connect pc to laptop using xover cable, have do
    « on: September 03, 2015, 08:20:05 PM »
    I am trying to connect my pc desktop (win vista) to my pc laptop wireless ( win 7 starter) using a crossover cable. I tried connecting the wire, restarting, and disconnecting and shut down. I then read instructions to set ip addresses. It did not always ping correctly. Using 192.168.13.100 and 192.168.13.101, it would ping in one direction, the other failed. I tried 192.168.2.2, and 192.168.2.1,with preferred dns settings and it would ping in the other direction but not both. At one time I looked in Network on 1st pc and it showed a different icon, clicked on it and it quickly disappeared and never reappeared. For the most part neither pc showed up in the others tree

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: can not connect pc to laptop using xover cable, have do
    « Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »
    Hello,
    O
    this is a test.
    Many volunteers are ready to help you. However, there is some confusion with information you gave in your post. It is possible to connect two computers together with a crossover cable. However, this does not involve the use of wireless. If you have a wireless router, you must use the wireless router to provide connectivity between your computers.
    This is the way it would normally be done. Most computers should already have some way to get access to the Internet. This would be through a router that is connected to some external device that gives you connection and the Internet. Next, you have to establish a local area network. The local area network have to be set on each computer.
    You must set up a network connection on both computers. Even though you already have Internet connection, that does not define the local area connection. The local area connection must have a workgroup name and a name for each computer. Both computers should use the same network name, but each one has its own specific name to identify that computer.
    You might call your Vista omputer  V isata-1 and the Windows 7 computer could be called Win-7. Both computers should use the same workgroup name. You can use the name MSHOME as the name of the network.

It may be necessary to reset both computers after assigning the workgroup name and the individual names of the computers. It may take a minute or two for the computers to find each other. This is normal the first time.
    After a while, you should be able to go into network places and see both computers. Of course, you must have file and print sharing already enables. A common practice is to share a folder such as the one called public. You want to set up your system so that either computer can read and write shared files.
    Use of a crossover cable is seldom recommended, except for unusual circumstances where you're not able to establish a network on a computer. The use of a crossover cable is documented elsewhere. If you already have a wireless router, there is no need to use a crossover cable to connect two computers. In fact, use of a wireless router allows you to connect many devices other than computers. For example, a smart phone or a tablet can also connect wirelessly and in some circumstances even trade files with the PC. And even if not, there are programs and applications that do allow you to transfer files between tablets and PCs either through the local area network or using a server on the Internet.
    I hope this information if you some idea of what you want to do.  :)

mlmiller707

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
      I scanned your response. My purpose is not for networking via the internet. My purpose "was" to transfer my music files from one machine to the other. My problem was that I had too many connections going on in my ncpa.cpl on wireless. So disabled the wireless, used the LAn and just used crossover cable, disabled firewall on both pcs, also enable file sharing and print sharing, and used 192.168.1.5 and .6 on the laptop worked  like a charm...thanks for your response though.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:56:00 PM »
      Glad you got it to work.
      BTW: On newer network cards a crossover is not always needed.

An Ethernet crossover cable is a type of Ethernet cable used to connect computing devices together directly. It is most often used to connect two devices of the same type: e.g. two computers (via network interface controller) or two switches to each other.

Connect two computers using a crossover cable