Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What things affect my internet  (Read 2902 times)

Whitebeard1

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    What things affect my internet
    « on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »
    Hey,
    I'm not familiar with internet/networking; in fact I have little to none knowledge on it.
    I've got a reasonably cheap modem and a decent computer(MacBookPro 13-inch).
    I've always wondered what affects my internet's speed, performance etc...
    Is it the modem that affects this the most? Or does the quality of the laptop affects the internet too? Or is there other factors?
    Like I said, I'm quite a newbie with internet/networks.
    Thanks.
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What things affect my internet
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:05:45 AM »
    Generally the thing that affects it the most is stuff out with your control - The performance of your ISP's systems, any traffic management put in place by your ISP, the quality and length of line from you to your ISP (be it a coax cable or telephone line) the type of cable used (coax, copper twisted pair or fibre optic).  A modem can cause issues but it would have to be extremely outdated or faulty for this to be the case.  In most situations the network connection between your computer and the modem is going to be faster than your internet connection so this is rarely the issue.

Whitebeard1

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:38:08 AM »
      I see...thanks for the reply.
      So to improve my internet experience, would I basically choose ISPs that have high performance?
      Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »
      They all advertise as "high speed, high performance or fast internet" etc. But you will want to check the upload and download speeds that they guarantee. For example you can get "High Speed" ( marketing term but no wheres near true high speed ) Internet from Satellite and its far slower than Cable Broadband. Both claim to be high speed yet the Cable Broadband is truly generally 10x or more faster due to greater bandwidth. Havent looked but im sure there might even be some High Speed Dial Up ISPs still lingering around. Thank goodness I was able to leave dial up back in 2005 when broadband finally came to my area since DSL wasnt available because old copper phone lines in area and i live away from a major city etc.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 09:24:32 AM »
      Off interest...
      As part of its 2015 Broadband Progress Report, the Federal Communications Commission has voted to change the definition of broadband by raising the minimum download speeds needed from 4Mbps to 25Mbps, and the minimum upload speed from 1Mbps to 3Mbps, which effectively triples the number of US households without broadband access. Currently, 6.3 percent of US households don’t have access to broadband under the previous 4Mpbs/1Mbps threshold, while another 13.1 percent don't have access to broadband under the new 25Mbps downstream threshold.
      FCC Commissioner Tom Wheeler was vehement in his support for the new broadband standard. "When 80 percent of Americans can access 25-3, that's a standard. We have a problem that 20 percent can't. We have a responsibility to that 20 percent," Commissioner Wheeler said.
      The FCC has changed the definition of broadband
      So maybe we are in the lower 20 per cent.  :'(

Whitebeard1

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »
        Thanks for the replies...
        I forgot to mention that I use wireless internet(wi-fi). Would that have an effect too?