Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: While playing games my laptop overheat, hat do I do about it?  (Read 8542 times)

yologirl00001

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    While playing games my laptop overheat, hat do I do about it?
    « on: September 23, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
    Hi. I have a lenovo ideapad yoga 11s. While surfing the web it never gets hot only when I play league of legends and especially pokemon tcg online itll get even hotter. I heard theres something that you can change in power options in processor power management but i dont understand that. Should I be worried that my laptop gets hot?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: While playing games my laptop overheat, hat do I do about it?
    « Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:16:40 PM »
    Yes. Heat can shorten the life of your laptop. Normally the laptop takes care of the problem.  The fan is controller by a heat sensor. But  if  it really gets hot it will shut down. Has that ever happened?
    What do you have under the laptop?  It should be a smooth surface that allows air flow. You can get an external fan to help keep it cool, but that shod not be needed. You can just use a cheap desk fan to help cool the back of the laptop.
    At Walmart you can get a little fan the runs off the USB.

From Walmart.com:  Desk Decor Plastic Shell PC Desktop Cooling USB Mini Fan Pink DC5V 2.5W now just $11.34 on sale.
    Does that answer your question?  :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »
    I saw one of these fans you shared Geek at walmart, oddly it was in the automotive section hanging off of a teaser rack. I call them teaser racks because they are generally used to draw attention of children to a toy of some kind such as in cereal isles in which the parents intentionally avoid the toy isle and need to get cereal and the kids see the toy and have to have it and the parents are stuck dealing with a screaming child or spending $3.49 in which they end up buying something they didnt intend to.

A few years ago all sorts of stuff started showing up that was powered off of USB ports. Everything from Small Desk Lamps or  Flexible keyboard Lights, to Coffee Cup Warmers. While I dont think its a great idea to use USB ports like outlets for power for certain off the wall accessories such as a coffee cup warmer, this fan as long as it is well filtered and doesnt pull too much power might be ok, however the fans I saw in walmart didnt look very impressive for airflow to be used for cooling a laptop.

The best cooler for a laptop is a cooling pad such as one of these. Im not suggesting to buy this specific one, just showing that this is the better solution. Depending on dimensions of the laptop they might want a different larger model etc. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834953035&cm_re=laptop_cooling_pad-_-34-953-035-_-Product

yologirl00001

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
      Yes. Heat can shorten the life of your laptop. Normally the laptop takes care of the problem.  The fan is controller by a heat sensor. But  if  it really gets hot it will shut down. Has that ever happened?
      What do you have under the laptop?  It should be a smooth surface that allows air flow. You can get an external fan to help keep it cool, but that shod not be needed. You can just use a cheap desk fan to help cool the back of the laptop.
      At Walmart you can get a little fan the runs off the USB.

From Walmart.com:  Desk Decor Plastic Shell PC Desktop Cooling USB Mini Fan Pink DC5V 2.5W now just $11.34 on sale.
      Does that answer your question?  :)

Thanks.
      It has never shut down, does this mean everything is fine?. I downloaded Open Hardware Monitor, what should my temperature be at? i think when im playing games it gets to 60 ish or 70 ish celcius but it has never shut down, should i be worried until my laptop shuts down?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:25:54 AM »
      It is doing good. Both AMD and Intel CPUs now have internal protection and that trips at a higher temp.

Room temperature is about 25 C. In side a laptop it might get to 40 C sometimes.  But the CPU can hold one until about 90 C.

For more info, just search for CPU temperature.

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:08:02 PM »
      Just like with a desktop it can collect dust that will prevent air form circulating properly.
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Lorraine walsh

Intermediate

• A techie by nature!
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:05:13 AM »
        you should be worried if your laptop is overheating. There could be a couple of reasons for this.
        When you use your computer make sure the pathway of the fan is not blocked in any way. Use your laptop on a flat surface. If that does not solve your overheating problem, Consider getting a cooling pad. Overheating can also occur if there is a lot dust in your laptop. Get it serviced or cleaned.
        There might be some programs running in the background that you don't really need which may be the ones causing your laptop to overheat by eating up too much available memory. check your task manager and see which programs are doing this.