Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FRAPS 3.5.99 not working with Windows 10 64-bit  (Read 34936 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
FRAPS 3.5.99 not working with Windows 10 64-bit
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:38:08 AM »
So I decided to upgrade my one spare system to Windows 10 64-bit using the free Windows 7 64-bit  to 10 64 bit upgrade path. Everything seemed ok, and so I launched World of Warcraft and started playing that. I then loaded up Fraps and decided to see if there was any problems with that and found out that while Fraps does launch when I tell it to. The hot keys to start recording the video game dont function. I cant record video or screenshots using fraps. Tried using different hot keys and nope. That didnt fix it either. Went to Fraps website and the version I am running is the latest version but I noticed that they dont advertise it as being compatible after Windows 7.  :'(

Even tried just taking screenshots of desktop which fraps otherwise would never have a problem with with under General Tab box checked for "Monitor Aero Desktop (DWM)" in Fraps software.

Is Aero Desktop Environment Gone from Windows 10 and maybe thats why Fraps is broken? Or is there something else I need to enable or disable to get this to work.

http://www.fraps.com/download.php

I guess until I work out this issue, I am going to be recording game events for our guild on my main system that is still on Windows 7 64-bit.

It would stink if Fraps is not going to support any OS's after 7  ::)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: FRAPS 3.5.99 not working with Windows 10 64-bit
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:34:19 AM »
See Here...

Apparently you aren't the only 1 ...and Beepa is working on a patch...

Meanwhile some have had success installing the latest KLite codec pack and getting it to run.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 10:43:52 AM »
I just installed FRAPS (the trial presumably) on both my Windows 10 systems, and it works fine on both. Don't have any games on them but the counter appeared in FurMark and I was able to record a video from FurMark as well on both systems ([email protected], 8GB, 9800GT and a Athlon 5350 with 4GB of RAM using the APU for Video). It also works on my Windows 8.1 system.

Only suggestion I can think of if FRAPS was installed before the upgrade, you could try reinstalling it.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I Tried a reinstall of Fraps 3.5.99 and still non functional. I guess I will stick with Windows 7 on my main system for a while until Beepa can solve the issue with Windows 10 in a newer release.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 09:50:05 PM »
The "Windows 10" issue being addressed is that the default Video player can't play FRAPS videos. I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue you are having.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 12:24:03 AM »
Yah my issue is I dont get the FPS counter and no hot keys for video or screenshot work. The program launches but is non functional basically. Worked completely fine under Win 7 build. Even checked the path for the files when trying to make video or  screenshots and  no files are created.  :-\

Pic shown with my registration name and password blanked out so no one can assume to be me with licensed copy activation.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
Got a response from them on my support ticket. This is what they shared.

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your inquiry.  The current 3.5.99 version of Fraps will work fine with most games on machines running Windows 10, you just won't be able to capture your desktop because Windows 10 does not use Aero.

Our developers are currently working on the next version of Fraps (3.6.0) which will include official support for desktop capture in Windows 10 as well as other minor bug fixes and improvements.  Unfortunately I am unable to provide you with a release date, however we do hope to have it available for download from our website as soon as possible.

If you are having trouble using Fraps with a particular game, could you please let me know the title and I will investigate the problem further.

Regards,
Chris Van Graas

pras92

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
    Got a response from them on my support ticket. This is what they shared.

Thank you very much Dave, for sharing this official response.
    Its been 5 years since that last version of 3.5.99, and 2+ years since that reply about next version, still not a single version was released after that.

Making this post, only to save someone else's time, in case they stumble upon this issue in the future.

Guess Fraps is done. (BTW, apart from my win10 I've experienced this issue in win7 many times. Still, Fraps was my first preferred win7 screen recorder as it worked most of the time, and was a great piece of software).

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
    And 3 years since they were here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

matty121121

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 04:14:33 AM »
      Hi,

I have been trying to record p3dv4 but it will not record any idea

Thanks,

Matthew Russel

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
      « Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
      In the future its best to start a new thread vs adding questions onto an old one. But this is what I have been playing with for recording and its free. It allows you to stream video content as well as record offline. https://obsproject.com/