Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux hardware requirements  (Read 5259 times)

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Linux hardware requirements
« on: October 25, 2015, 02:58:33 PM »
Is there a web page where I can see the Hardware requirements for all Linux Distros. Where I can check all Distros, in the same place, preferably in a tabulated format.

Thank you
Loraine

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Linux hardware requirements
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
This is not what you asked for. But it is close.
Some distros require modern hardware, others do not.

Linux Distributions; FAQ

: If you are new to Linux, you should start by buying or downloading a general-purpose Linux distribution. A distribution is a complete operating system, including the Linux kernel and all the utilities and software you are likely to need, ready to install and use. Most distributions include thousands of software packages, including user-friendly desktops, office suites, and games.
Many distros allow a 'live' demo mode that does not use hard drive space.
You could start with Linux Mint to see how it performs on your system.

Superhuman

Rookie
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:17:04 PM »
    Is there a web page where I can see the Hardware requirements for all Linux Distros. Where I can check all Distros, in the same place, preferably in a tabulated format.

Thank you

FAQ with general system requirements

Live CD list of primarily Linux & some BSD
    “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)

floccinaucini

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:22:42 AM »
    Thank you for this update. There are 2 things I don't understand. In the live CD list some are listed as only [Desktop], while others are listed as both [Desktop][OS Installation]. Could you please clarify this? Also, some CDs have the added function [Rescue] included. Is it that they can also be used to rescue a failed or un-bootable OS (a different OS)?

Regards
    Loraine

Superhuman

Rookie
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 07:00:28 AM »
      I haven't tried loads of them just yet, but it's my understanding if it says the purpose shows only "Desktop", it would be only the live version, and probably not include a built-in means of installing to HDD.  And if it mentions "OS Installation", it is set up to install to hard disk.  But, even the live-only ones likely can be installed with some third-party helper software, and/or manually by the technically inclined.  For instance, many Linux versions are supported by LinuxLive USB Creator for installing them to any USB drive.

IIRC the ones showing "rescue" are specifically designed for repairing failed/unbootable Windows.  In my experience, some of these live Linux distros may not be full Linux distros (likely ones showing only the rescue function) but mainly tailored to the rescue purpose.
      “The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.”

Attributed to “Chief Seattle” (Noah Sealth 1786-1866)