Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wireless Router Setup  (Read 2453 times)

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Wireless Router Setup
    « on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »
    I am trying too reconfigure a Dlink DIR-628 Wireless Router, I changed the IP Address of the Router but, I can't access it too setup the Internet connection then.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Wireless Router Setup
    « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:26 AM »
    There is a reset button to set it back to factory default. From there you would access the router at the default IP address which is usually 192.168.1.1. You will want a hard wired Cat5 connection between the router and the computer your using to configure it with.

Here is the manual with all info you should need.

http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DIR/DIR%20628/Manual/DIR-628_Manual_US.pdf

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:41 AM »
      I changed the IP Address of the Router but, I can't access it too setup the Internet connection then.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »
      So you changed the routers IP Address such as to 192.168.100.1 and when you enter that IP address into your browser you should get a logon box pop up to authenticate.

bob1286

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
        Exactly, only I am not getting that and I should be

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 05:48:49 AM »
        For the fact that your able to initiate the initial connection to router and it doesnt go into a failed communication mode until you make the change to the IP, can you make other changes without changing the default IP from 192.168.1.1 and have it function or is any other changes with default IP at 192.168.1.1 causing problems.

Its quite possible that the router is partially damaged to where the initial config is accessible and then further changes written to ROM cause for a corrupted config in which it goes out to lunch.

It should also reply with ping requests to the router at the IP that you set it to. So if set to say 192.168.100.1 you should be able to ping that IP and get a response if your not getting a response then try the default IP of 192.168.1.1 if still no response then the router is probably trash and time for a new one. One last effort might be to reflash the router after hardware reset and see if that will re-zero the corruption on the flash ROM back to healthy state.