Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Card support only 100mbps but want it to support 1000mbps(1Gbps)  (Read 2931 times)

Soh Jianke

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    My laptop can support up to 100mbps via Ethernet
    Fibre plan is 1Gbps
    How to make my computer support faster speed?

My Laptop can only support 100mbps via Ethernet because of my network card, my Fibre BB will be 1Gbps(1000mbps) how to make it support 1Gbps(1000mbps) will a USB 3.0 to Ethernet work?

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Network Card support only 100mbps but want it to support 1000mbps(1Gbps)
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:57:30 AM »
    What laptop is this?  I've never seen a laptop that is new enough to support USB 3.0 yet doesn't have Gigabit ethernet.  Where are you seeing that it only supports 100mbps ethernet?  That said a USB 3.0 adapter would work but not as well as something built into the machine.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 06:02:04 AM »
    I have a 6 year old Dell laptop that has Gigabit ethernet, and it's not even a top end model. Make and model please.

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 07:44:38 AM »
    I purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop about 4 months ago and it only came with a 100mbs Ethernet port.  Would have liked to get the gigabit port but it had everything else I was looking for at the price I was looking for so bought it regardless.  It has USB 3.0 and wasn't some deep discounted older model, it's from their current lineup.

The OP should be able to add 1gb capability with an adapter like this: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=11195&gclid=Cj0KEQiAqemzBRDh2vGKmMnqoegBEiQAqJPuyP3u4Zhl3TJ6pUi_klj14o4lqXFEVSM_ZQAtttUo9fYaAjGD8P8HAQ