Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ethernet connection not working properly  (Read 2402 times)

roghish

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Ethernet connection not working properly
    « on: December 26, 2015, 05:57:10 AM »
    My computer is running windows 8.1, but I don't know most other details since it was custom built by someone else.
    When I plug my ethernet cable into another computer, it works normally, but when I plug it into the computer having problems, it is detected but there is no internet connection.
    It worked before, and I don't know what caused the problems.
    For a few weeks now when the ethernet cable is not plugged in, there is a red cross on the internet connection icon on the bottom right of the screen as normal, but when it is plugged in, rather than connecting to internet the red cross is replaced by a yellow exclamation point.
    So far I've tried most of the things technologically people like me are capable of multiple times, including unplugging and replugging the ethernet cable, restarting the computer and resetting the livebox.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ethernet connection not working properly
    « Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 06:21:05 AM »
    You will want to make sure that the network adapter is set up to dynamic ( obtain IP address automatically for IP and DNS ). Also check in device manager and see if the network adapter has a yellow ! or not. If you see a yellow warning in device manager then you will want to track down the driver for the motherboard and install it as for maybe a generic network adapter driver is being used that is partially functional to initialize the NIC but not have it functional.