Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Diferent names of computer  (Read 6288 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Diferent names of computer
    « on: January 30, 2016, 05:10:01 PM »
    In a simple setup of networking between a laptop and a desktop, does each pc have to have different names, or could or should they be identical? I asked,caused i was always under the impression that each pc, HAD to have different names in the event one wanted to share files and etc. A recent talk with a tech, said that both should have the same name. ..now, I am confused.

zep516

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: Diferent names of computer
      « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 05:48:22 PM »
      Not a network expert but,

Make sure that both machines are using the same "workgroup name." Both machines need to use a different machine name or they won't show up.

I believe that's what the tech meant when he said use the same name.
      Manners are the basis of a civilized society and make everyone's lives just a little happier. They cost nothing but they are worth so much

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:54:49 PM »
      You want two computers  on the network to have the same name?
      Why not just use names that are different?
      But if needed, it can be done.
      [ur=]https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec1b2c00-32c3-4901-abb3-7deb53cd541d/join-network-computers-in-the-domain-with-same-name?forum=winserverDS]Join network computers in the domain with same name[/url]
      ..... we are replacing some 70 desktop & laptop according to company policy for aged hardware. The new machines must have the same name as the old. What would be the best way to remove the old from the domain and add the new with the same name.
      Meaning I could go into every old computer and delete the object and then join the new with same name, move it to the appropriate OU etc. Is there any shortcut, like can you prestage a computer with a name of an existing one or 'reset' a computer and then join another pc with the same name?... /quote]

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 04:21:46 AM »
      You want two computers  on the network to have the same name?
      The OP is asking if they have to have the same name, or if it is even possible. It does not appear that they want to do this.

To Novel8: assuming you are talking about two Windows machine, the short answer is if you’re running newer versions of Windows like Windows 10, Windows 8, or Windows 7, then everything will work fine. It’s only with older versions of Windows like Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98, etc. that rely on NETBIOS and WINS where you will run into issues. However, most people would go for different names because it will be less confusing, and if you might want to use machines with other operating systems it would be better also.

See here

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/duplicate-name-exists-on-the-network-windows-error/

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »
        Thanks....but to simplify my puzzlement...when I click on the wi-fi icon in my task bar of my desktop, the name of the laptop appears, which says i am connected. Shouldn't the name of my desktop be there instead and likewise for the laptop with its own name? If this is wrong, how do I mend the situation?

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 08:04:10 AM »
        They ideally should have different names, not sure what the "tech" you spoke to was talking about.  That said, having the same name won't usually cause major issues on a simple home network but it's best to keep them different anyway - No real reason not to.

How are you connecting to the internet?  The WiFi icon should show the name of your wireless network, not your laptop.  Does the laptop happen to have the same name as your wireless network?

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 07:00:27 AM »
        ...   when I click on the wi-fi icon in my task bar of my desktop, the name of the laptop appears, which says i am connected.   ...
        When you click on the wi-fi icon, the ssid of the ROUTER you are connected to should be displayed, not your computer name.  Is the ssid of your router the same as the name of your laptop?

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
          On my Desktop, I move my mouse without clicking on the wi-fi icon, a small message appears with the name of my laptop and it says "internet access", but when i actually click on it, it shows my desktop name and says 'connected". BTW, my SSID has the name of my Desktop computer. Now, when I do the same thing on the laptop's wi-fi icon, it says the opposite..the name of my desktop with internet access, but when I click on the icon,  it does not show the name i gave to my laptop, but  my desktop's name also. Shouldn't it say the laptop's name? I went into my setup and see all the info of my network under Status, but there does not seem to be a way to delete anything there and add. I hope I do not have to go through an entire setup again.
          « Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:18:34 PM by Novel8 »

camerongray

Expert
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »
          The confusion here is that your access point has the same name as your desktop.  You aren't seeing the desktop's name when you click the WiFi icon on either computer, you are seeing the SSID which is what you should be seeing.  I'd suggest changing the names so your desktop, laptop and SSID are all different - This will avoid confusion like this in the future.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
            Thanks, i agree...but having a hard time trying to do this. I can't find a way how to erase ssid name, without the possibility of doing setup for both machines. Does anyone know a quicker way to do this?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 02:31:08 PM »
            A wireless router is an AP. It has the said.
            Computers have computer names.
            You can change the computer ID with the setup wizard. The quicker way is longer  Becuase it takes time to learn how to do it the quicker way.

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
            « Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 02:59:06 PM »
            Unless you have a particular attachment to the name it may be easier to change the name of your desktop instead of the access point as changing that won't affect other devices.

strollin

Adviser
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 07:25:59 AM »
            There is no "quick way" to do it.  If you change the ssid of your router (login to router's admin page to change it) and you will need to reconnect any wireless devices.  If you don't want to change the ssid of the router, change the name of your desktop computer.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:23 AM »
            There is no "quick way" to do it.  If you change the ssid of your router (login to router's admin page to change it) and you will need to reconnect any wireless devices.  If you don't want to change the ssid of the router, change the name of your desktop computer.
            That is what I wanted to say when I said 'the quick way takes longer'.
            In an Enterprise scenario, whee this sort of thing has to be done, somebody would write a precedence for rapid implementation. But that takes a a lot of time the first time.