Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I create a SHARED FOLDER on my pc accessible for a friend at his home?  (Read 2856 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
A bit like dropbox, i don't know if its possbile but it could be useful.
Like creating a folder on my pc win7 64bit and giving it a internet address and a username/password.
It could require a software like filezilla or something.
And once it is shared, we could create subfolders in it and share files we need without having to meet with a usb drive.
I don't know much about ftp, is it a tool for personnal home use or can it got outside of my home for a person to see?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Unless you hake the experience needed, I would say just stick to Dropbox.
Or, one of the other cloud services that allow sync.

If both of you are running winnows 7 or beater, you should think about the Microsoft OneDrive. You can get a free OneDrive accountant using your Microsoft email account. I think you both could use the same account. The issue would be the email account.

Actually, I have two emails with Microsoft. One is on Hotmail and the other on Live.
So maybe you could use the user ID just  for the cloud service and not e-mail.

Here is a link that may help you.
Five tools to help sync more than one cloud storage service

By use of the right cloud service, either one of you could work on a project at any time. The cloud service is almost as fast as FTP.  With the right kind of sync software, it is easier than FTP.   :)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
yeah I know, but i don't like the maximum of a few GB they offer.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
They offer 15 GB for free. If you hurry.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3014183/data-center-cloud/microsoft-will-let-you-keep-your-free-15gb-of-onedrive-storage-if-you-claim-it.html

When the offer expires is not clear. But another CH poster says it will stop soon.
See here:
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,153808.0.html

Myself, I never have 15 GB of stuff the I need often.

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: Can I create a SHARED FOLDER on my pc accessible for a friend at his home?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:48:07 AM »
Options are to use an existing service or serve it up yourself on a dedicated FTP server service like filezilla.

I have used Filezilla before and it works well. Only issue with hosting your own is that ISPs like to block common ports used for FTP and so you will need to redirect FTP through an alternate port such as 8077 and mess with port forwarding in your router, which is what I use to use years ago when I needed data on the go and didnt want to pay to use someone elses service and Thumb drives just came out and were small and pricey about 11 years ago.

I used WinSCP for secure SFTP connection to server. https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

I used Linux as my OS for my SFTP server because I was concerned over Microsoft based Server being on the DMZ of the home internet connection with hackers, and knowing that Linux is better for security went with Fedora Core for the OS.

https://filezilla-project.org/

If you have your own server it will be a learning experience, but you wont be limited in amount of data. However whatever your upload speed is, thats the maximum transfer rate. My speed then was a 768k upload which wasnt bad.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
You certainly can set something like that up and open it to the internet by setting up some port forwarding rules in your router.  However, if you aren't operating some sort of VPN and are therefore exposing the service to the public internet you should only be using SFTP, this works best on Linux but can be installed on Windows (https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server).  I would strongly advise against opening things like plain old FTP or Windows SMB file sharing to the internet as they are not secure enough by modern standards.

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
I would strongly advise against opening things like plain old FTP or Windows SMB file sharing to the internet as they are not secure enough by modern standards.

Couldnt agree more. Good point in specifying to stay away from plain old FTP. I forgot to mention that when I was talking about SFTP ;D