Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Unable to Connect to Most Wifi or Hotspot  (Read 2695 times)

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Experience: Experienced
    Laptop Unable to Connect to Most Wifi or Hotspot
    « on: February 07, 2016, 11:44:50 PM »
    My sister has a old laptop NEC Versa E6300 which cannot connect to almost all wifi connections or hotspots.

Whenever it tries to connect to either public/home/office wifi, or hotspot from a Huawei Mobile hotspot, her LG phone's hotspot, or iPhone 6 Plus's hotspot, it shows "Local only" and cannot connect to the internet.

Weird enough, the only connection that works so far is the hotspot shared from my iPhone 6.

Also, if the laptop is connected to the home/office modem or the Huawei mobile modem using LAN cable, then the connection is working fine as usual.

While I suspect it's the laptop's wireless receiver/adapter at fault, but how it oddly can connect to my iPhone 6's hotspot then?

Thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Laptop Unable to Connect to Most Wifi or Hotspot
    « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:44:29 AM »
    What wireless adapter is she using.. make/model?

I have seen older Wireless B adapters have issues for example with modern hotspots. It might be as simple as getting a newer wireless adapter which its probably plugged into your USB port, however some laptops can take an internal card, but then need the antenna fished into it.

Michael

Topic Starter

Adviser
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Laptop Unable to Connect to Most Wifi or Hotspot
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:21 PM »
      The wireless adapter is Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter.

But if the wireless adapter is faulty, should it be unable to connect to any wireless connection, or inconsistently connect to some and not other? In her case, the laptop can always connect to my iPhone 6's hotspot, and not others.

Btw, I notice there is entry under the Network adapters in Device Manager which has a yellow triangular exclamation mark, it reads "Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface".