Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

How much data do you use each month?

1 Giga Byes or less
0 (0%)
10 Giga Byes or less
0 (0%)
100 Giga Bytes or less
2 (40%)
As much as I want, no pratical limit.
3 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: March 11, 2016, 12:36:35 AM

Author Topic: How much data do you use each month?  (Read 2589 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
How much data do you use each month?
« on: March 04, 2016, 12:36:35 AM »
The question is about the amount of data, not the speed.
If you have a hard wire connection, it may not matter how much you use.
However, some users have to use the Smart Phone with  a 3G or 4G service to get internet downloads. Streaming video or video downloads gobble up the large part of a data plan. Some users only have 100 mega bytes for data. That is OK for just some web surfing, but not so good for watching even short video clips.
But many of you watch video only on TV. -Ruggt?  **
What about you? Does it matter to you? How much would you want to pay for more data.
** Footnote:
According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube. 
8)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:50:22 AM by Geek-9pm »

DaveLembke

Sage
Re: How much data do you use each month?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
Due to Roku playing streaming, Vonage VoIP phone, and 3 or more computers going at any one time my home averages around 40 gigs per month. Comcast has a feature in account info that shows graphs and how much usage there was. My computer I also have a network monitor on it which gives me total data up/down since last hard reset as well as up/down since boot. I use this tool to see if my home computer is being used as a seed for a free online game etc in which I kill off the seed for the torrent that I dont want to be a part of but still want to be able to play the games.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »
~250 GB a month looking at my ISP website. Cap is 480GB per month before I pay more (Canadian ISP's introduced tiered data caps a few years ago)

But many of you watch video only on TV.
I don't even pay for Cable.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:15:12 PM »
According to my router I transfer around 300gb a month - My connection has practically unlimited transfer.

Whitie III

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »
I used about 3 gigs of my 5 gb of mobile data last month on my phone.... idk about home internet.....

if I can reduce my data to 1.5 GB a month from 5GB/month I can save $20 a month going from $60/month to $40/month but idk if I can do that....

Metro PCS had the best plan but I got no service anywhere I frequently visit so they went out the door for Page Plus (only way to get unlimited Verizon data) and have 5GB of 4G "LTE" with page plus and even though all the plans are unlimited I can't stand 2G mobile data so I try not to go over 5GB/month