Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Download Speeds Periodically Dropping  (Read 2160 times)

mangobyebye

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Download Speeds Periodically Dropping
    « on: March 10, 2016, 04:57:10 AM »
    Hello!

So I have been experiencing some issues with download speeds. I have moved to a new apartment which already has a router and the problems I am having were not present on any devices prior to moving, which leads me to believe that this is an issue with this router or some router settings. Additionally, the issue does not occur when I am connected to the router via ethernet cable. This is not, however, a viable long-term solution so I hope to figure out a solution to fix the problem. Here is some more information:

=== PROBLEM DESCRIPTION ===

Download speeds, regardless of download server, start out at acceptable speeds (7 - 11 MB/s), which lasts for less then ten seconds, at which time download speeds drop to ridiculously slow speeds (7 - 10 KB/s).

Very rarely, the download speeds will go back up again, but only for a few seconds at a time. It seems as if my wireless speeds are being throttled by the router. These results are completely reproducable: when I start any new download or restart the same download multiple times, speeds always start high and then tank.

=== SYSTEM / NETWORK INFO ===

System
    Although probably unnecessary, my system information is included in the attached .txt file.

Router
    Fritz!Box 7490

ISP
    Sunrise (Lugano, Switzerland)
    http://www1.sunrise.ch/index-Sunrise-Residential-Site-WFS-en_CH-CHF.html?
    Speed I pay for: ~120 Mb/s

=== CONCLUSION ===

I would appreciate any help you can provide! Are there any router settings that I need to check to ensure that speeds are not being throttled? Upon cursory inspection I could not find anything out of the ordinary.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]