Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: VPN Setup  (Read 2933 times)

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    VPN Setup
    « on: April 21, 2016, 02:55:22 PM »
    Hello,

This might be a stupid question to most of you but i apologize in advance as im not great with networking and its something i would like to learn.

I would like to setup a VPN - reason is i want to connect to my home network from outside (now i know i need a ddns or atleast a static ip which is fine thats taken care of)

I have an ISP modem/router(all in one crap) with dhcp disabled and a windows server(DHCP service) running and that is what gives out my ip addresses...

Is there a way i can run a vpn server without buying a second router and trying to configure that mess? haha.

Thank you in advance

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: VPN Setup
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 06:36:51 PM »
    You should be able to set up a VPN server on the Windows machine that is providing DHCP.  Windows should have functionality for it built in or alternatively you could use something like OpenVPN.  You would then just need to forward the appropriate port through your router to the server.

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »
      You should be able to set up a VPN server on the Windows machine that is providing DHCP.  Windows should have functionality for it built in or alternatively you could use something like OpenVPN.  You would then just need to forward the appropriate port through your router to the server.

So i have a windows server that is providing the DHCP - also note that i want to connect from outside of my network INTO my network. windows has a built in service for this?

With OpenVPN what would i need to do ?

thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 11:43:33 AM »
      Did the OP already searchfor free services do it thisfor you?
      Just search for:
      remote access to your office or home computer
      Or, Just click  HERE

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »
        Did the OP already searchfor free services do it thisfor you?
        Just search for:
        remote access to your office or home computer
        Or, Just click  HERE

VPN isnt the same as teamviewer or gotoassist. i want to connect to my NETWORK not a single computer on my network.

two very different things

thanks

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »
        This explains how to set up a VPN server with Windows directly - http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/set-up-a-personal-windows-vpn.htm

This explains how to do the same using OpenVPN (it's a lot more flexible but also quite a bit more complex) - https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide

Arotin

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
          This explains how to set up a VPN server with Windows directly - http://www.practicallynetworked.com/security/set-up-a-personal-windows-vpn.htm

This explains how to do the same using OpenVPN (it's a lot more flexible but also quite a bit more complex) - https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide

I tried the windows one, my laptop which was out of my network - gave the error 800. on my router the firewall is off and ports are forwarded... i will try the openvpn one later and test it again..

thanks