Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Has USB Network Tether been removed from WIndows?  (Read 3554 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Has USB Network Tether been removed from WIndows?
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:34:34 PM »
USB Network Tether is a way of getting internet connection lfrom a phone to a PC. Many say that it used to work well in Windows 7, 8 and 10. But for some sreason it no longwer works.
It is a feature found on most new Android Smarplhones. There a re many articles on lllhow to enable it so you can get Internt on you desktop or laptop Windows machine whne a Intgernet connetion is not readily available. Handy if you more or travel. Or faorgot to pay the ISP.
My question is: Has it been removed from Winmdows?
Doing a Google search I find that two years ago everybody could do it.  But now  people are reporting taht it no longer works.
Example: One user bought a new Windws Machiine after being told tghat Windows 10 sujpports USB tether. The user was unable to get it to work. He tokk it back and the gave him a refund. So he reverted to his old compuiter and the USB tether still wokrs. This is not a  one-time story. Others echo it.

So, what do you know? Is the USB teter histgory?

Footnote: Found on Tether.com
Tether.com is no longer accepting new customers and existing customers will continue to have access until July 31, 2016
What  ??? Why?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Has USB Network Tether been removed from WIndows?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:55:09 AM »
Has it been removed from Winmdows?
No. Tethering is not a Windows feature. When an Android device is configured to Tether it appears as a USB Network adapter (Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device) to the system. This is the same regardless of the host OS.

Are you having a specific problem? If so, By now you should know we thrive on details; without more details all I can think of would be to make sure you are using the right USB cable for the device. (I have three cables that plug perfectly into my Nexus 6. Only one of them works for accessing files on the phone or tethering.- the one that came with it.

"Tether.com" is a service for blackberry devices. Android and iOS include network tethering.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

strollin

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 08:27:12 AM »
I just tested with my phone (LG G2) connected to my Win 10 laptop and was able to use USB tethering.  However, I use a little program called PDANet to enable USB tethering.  PDANet has 2 components, one that runs on your PC and another that runs on your phone.  PDANet also comes with FoxFi which allows enabling the wifi hotspot on my phone.

As BC_Programmer pointed out, it's not a function of Windows.  It's necessary to enable USB Debugging on your phone as well as have a capable cable.

Here's an article describing how to tether using PDANet: http://www.pcworld.com/article/199280/How_To_Tether_Your_Android_Phone_For_Free.html

BTW, I posted this while tethered to my phone via USB.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
Thanks to both.
I tried other cable. Now it works on Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Still does not work on Windows XP. Anyway, two out of three is good for me.  :)

Windows 10 USB tether has a lot of verbiage.