Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with Hardwire Connection to Internet  (Read 2502 times)

Madison2016

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Help with Hardwire Connection to Internet
    « on: May 14, 2016, 02:20:25 PM »
    Hi,
    I have an HP p7-1054 6GB 64 Bit Windows 7 Home Premium

One morning my hardwired Local Area Connection just stopped working. Every other computer oin the house on this router works fine. I tried calling my provider they said everything looks fine on their end and that I should try changing the cable to my computer that connects to the router. So I put a brands new one in and I still have the same exact problem.
    I have tried unplugging everything and restarting the router several times and everything conmects fine other than this same computer. I can connect wirelessly via TP-Link but I cannot connect with my hardwired Local Area Connection.

When I run the trouble shooter sometimes it says that I have an IP address conflict. I have tried rebooting the router as I said several times which should fix that issue but it does not. I have also tried running the command prompt to release and request a new ip address but that gives me error messages.
    Please help. Thank you in advance.

Madison2016

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Help with Hardwire Connection to Internet
      « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 03:50:11 PM »
      Well I finally fixed this thing. After troubleshooting with all of the obvious stuff, I went back to check any updates since the day it gave me trouble. There was a windows update on the list the evening before I had all of the trouble.

I found Microsoft.Net Framework 4.6.1
      When I right clicked to uninstall it , it opened a window that also offered a "repair" option. I figured I'd try the repair before trying the uninstall. It took a few minutes.

I rebooted and it showed both the hard wired and the wireless were properly connected after the start up connected. Just to make sure, I disconnected the wireless and sure enough Im on the hard wired LAN / Ethernet connection as I write this.

Hope this helps someone else before they go buying another cable as I did. Or worse, before they buy another computer or replace an ethernet port needlessly.
      Regards
      Madison

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Help with Hardwire Connection to Internet
      « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »
      Thanks for sharing.