Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 Network share question  (Read 5997 times)

getgcs

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 8.1 Network share question
    « on: May 16, 2016, 06:55:31 PM »
    Why do I have a problem sharing a folder if I set permissions as full control everyone to "new folder" but I forgot to set the advanced "share this folder" checkbox??????????????????

What the *censored*????

Why is it that I NEEED to check this off after I already added "everyone" and told windows to share the folder with the original share this folder button????

Thanks so much and yes im venting... not your fault... windows is soooo stupid! AM Im using windows 8.1 enterprise or something??? no im a basic home user I dont need crazy networking security.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Windows 8.1 Network share question
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 07:54:35 PM »
    For the same reason that you have a problem sending a letter through the post when you write the destination address, return address, and affix a stamp, but do not put it in the postbox.

Setting permissions on a folder is quite different from actually making it available in much the same way.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

getgcs

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
      Hey this is old but I wanted to reopen because I just read your reply. Don't you agree that putting the letter in the box is way different then getting it ready? How is telling windows twice the same exact thing a different thing like actually sending a letter versus saying where its going.. If I said share it with everyone that should be the only step involved on a home computer is what im saying.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:45:04 AM »
      Setting folder permissions is a completely different operation from sharing a folder. Folder and file permissions are used to control what users can do with it. Sharing the folder controls whether remote systems can access it. They are separate operations.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.