Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird. Unknown wired network shows up in Wireless list!  (Read 5190 times)

AndyCountry

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Weird. Unknown wired network shows up in Wireless list!
    « Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24:34 PM »
    I thank all who have responded to my questions! Computer Hope is a tremendous resource. It is a noble thing you all do - and for free. Thanks to you all. I have learned a couple new and very interesting things that I have to thank you all for. I never would have searched for this information on my own.

To wit:

Cameron, my friend, thanks for your time and effort;  I think you might enjoy reading up on cracking WPA encryption with Reaver and it's newer variants. It might change your view of how "the only known way to break in to a WPA2 network is through brute force." Geek-9pm gets it, and might help with any of your questions.

#############################################################################

BC Programmer, my friend; I think this article might entertain you. Given your comment from;  Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »

"I'm not aware of the Brother Pocketjet being a particularly well-used hacking tool, myself."

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/hacker-exploits-printer-web-interface-to-install-run-doom/

Although the article starts by describing Doom being played on a hacked IP-enabled printer, what I found much more interesting was the part where they describe cracking the encryption in 8 steps, and then using the printer as a gateway for hacking into devices on the network that the printer lives on.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
    Cameron, my friend, thanks for your time and effort;  I think you might enjoy reading up on cracking WPA encryption with Reaver and it's newer variants. It might change your view of how "the only known way to break in to a WPA2 network is through brute force." Geek-9pm gets it, and might help with any of your questions.

Reaver attacks WPS, not WPA/WPA2. It does so through brute force.

BC Programmer, my friend; I think this article might entertain you.

"I'm not aware of the Brother Pocketjet being a particularly well-used hacking tool, myself."

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/09/hacker-exploits-printer-web-interface-to-install-run-doom/

Although the article starts by describing Doom being played on a hacked IP-enabled printer, what I found much more interesting was the part where they describe cracking the encryption in 8 steps, and then using the printer as a gateway for hacking into devices on the network that the printer lives on.
    The Printer in the article is the target of the hacking, not the tool used. The Hack involves direct physical or network access to the printer, to flash in the firmware. It is effectively able to exploit the printer much as it would any other PC endpoint and use it to watch what is being printed or as a jumping off point to infect other parts of the network, depending on what an attacker wishes to accomplish.

I hope you'll agree that it is quite a different scenario from a mobile printer spoofing an SSID and somehow being involved in wireless cracking of a separate wireless network.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 08:30:37 PM »
    Cracking of wireless networks is so widespread that you can Google it and get free information...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracking_of_wireless_networks
    Legality
    The Netherlands
    Making use of someone else's wireless access point or wireless router to connect to the internet – without the owner's consent in any way – is not punishable by criminal law in The Netherlands. This is true even if the device uses some form of access protection. To penetrate someone else's computer without the owner's consent is punishable by criminal law though.[76]
    Well, I don't live there - so why should I worry?  :P